* Chapter 3 - Fort Terra

July 21st of 1312, the day prior to the ball, Lena arrives in Camilla, the capital of the Kingdom of Alyssum. Lena sleepily climbs out of the carriage as the maids and manservants proudly greet her. Lena politely greets the family employees of the manor as Holly carefully herds Lena towards the bedroom. Still rather tired from the trip, Lena willingly complies as she falls sound asleep on the bed. Fore ere tomorrow the trumpets of war will sound.

The next evening, Lena is awoken by Holly to begin the preparations for tonight's ball. Lena groggily leans over the edge of the bed, rubbing her toes on the soft carpet. Without a word, Holly drags Lena to the washroom, where a steaming warm bath is waiting for her. Still rather drowsy, Lena submerges herself in the lavender scented bath water as Holly washes her hair. The maids and Holly chatter lulling Lena back to sleep. Before Lena can fall asleep, Holly accidentally yanks Lena's hair.

Wide awake Lena winces in pain as Holly not very convincingly apologies, "I'm so sorry, Milady. But it's time for you to get out." Lena rubs her sore head as she climbs out shivering with cold. Holly holds out a fluffy robe that Lena but all dives into. Like herding an unruly sheep, the maids make sure Lena sits at a table to eat, while they fix her hair.

Holly and some of the other maids begin the vicious battle of deciding which dress should be chosen. An hour later after Lena's hair and makeup are done, the dress has yet to be chosen. Left with no other choice, Lena sternly says, "I want to wear the black gown with the plunging V-neck, that is open at the back and has small blue flowers sewn on the skirt."

The maids all protest at her words. "But it's Black!" "Black is only for funerals or formal robes!" "Milady, please reconsider this an engagement party, what will people say?"

Lena raises an eyebrow at their comments. "Let them whisper, it's not as though my reputation can be worsened. Besides Ladies, black is slimming and rather sexy," Lena confidently stated.

The maids nervously glance each other for a moment, before reluctantly helping Lena into her chosen dress. The maid's eyes widen in admiration as Holly reluctantly praises Lena by saying, "Milady was correct, but don't think that black is good for every occasion, Milady!" Lena in reply leans down to rub her face against the soft, golden strawberry colored hair. Holly glares up at Lena and accidentally steps on Lena's foot causing her to let out a whimper. Holly snorts under her breath and marches over to the door to allow Sebastian to enter.

Sebastian flawlessly says, "Milady, the carriage is ready, shall we depart?" Lena follows Sebastian out as the maids tear up as they curtsy goodbye as the manservants proudly bow to their young lady, who had grown into a proper lady. With the aid of Sebastian, Lena climbs into the carriage as Holly and the rest of the family's servants gather at the entrance to wish her good luck.

And with a crack of the whip, the carriage swiftly sets off towards the palace. The pace is steady as most of the guests have arrived leaving Lena slightly late. The carriage rolls to a stop at the grand royal palace as footman helps Lena out of the carriage. Lena climbs up the white marble footsteps leading to the palace, before heading down the beautifully decorated, violet carpeted floor that leads towards the ballroom. Lena takes a moment to breathe deeply, before motioning for the palace servants to open the ballroom doors. The ballroom doors clatter open loudly and rudely interrupts the ending of the King's speech.

Slightly unease Lena watches as the entire court turns to glance at Lena as she glides down the golden marble, grand staircase. Lena smiles politely and says, "My sincerest apologies your Majesty, but I had a bit of trouble making my way to the palace."

Lena's words echo as everyone turns towards his majesty for his reaction. His majesty, King Julius Sorrell nods his head in accepting the apology. King Julius claps his hands together, before taking Queen Florence by the hand and saying, "Let the ball commence." The courtiers clap at the king's words as everyone moves to the side to allow their majesties the first dance. Lena glides towards her parents, who smile proudly at her from afar. As Lena makes her way towards her mother, women and men's eyes alike follow Lena's path along with a torrent of whispers.