* Chapter 26 - Snare

-April 14th of 1313

The carriage rushes towards the palace as Lena obeys the summons to appear before the court. But Lena only felt unease at the summoning as her unease was only confirmed by Gauthier's message. Nothing had been mentioned to her about the attack, which greatly bothered her.

But after an entire lifetime of war, Lena knew better than to disregard her feelings. Just in case, Lena had left Dolly, Holly and Delilah behind at the family estate. They were reluctant to do so, but they obeyed at Lena's solemn insistence.

The carriage slows to a halt as a small troop of knights in armor escort her inside. Lena was glade she was dressed in her usual wear rather than in a dress as she is marched into the court room. The court room is silent as His Majesty sits before the court with the Queen noticeably absent.

The Prime Minster has noticeable dark circles under his eyes as his face is taut. With the Princess Gwyneth and Prince Julius solemn in their presence. A look of betrayal was found in their eyes. The courtiers stir as if scenting the scent of fresh blood. The whispers are hushed and only whispered from ear to ear and under their breaths.

A knight roughly motions for Princess Lena to kneel on her knees before his Majesty. Princess Lena's face stiffens as she kneels on the rich red carpeted floor before the throne. The court is unable to keep the smug looks from their faces as they sneer at her humiliation with glee.

His Majesty coldly says, "Princess Lena, you are charged with treason against the crown. Have you to say anything in your defense?"

Princess Lena remains still as her face merely hardens in response. The court begins to jeer as a single glance from Lena quiets them. The crowd embarrassingly turns away as they return their attention towards his Majesty. Though some eye the Prime Minister's pale face with unprecedented delight at his misfortune.

An arrogant faced council member steps forward to speak, "Princess Lena, you standby accused of illicit slavery and conspiring to defame Saint Alastair. The court will now hear the witnesses."

The witnesses come forth from merchants to soldiers to testify that Princess Lena had been running an illegal ring of slavery for the last few years. The testimonies are very through and precise as they smear Princess Lena's reputation into ruins. The court began to roar with indignation as the masses bay for her blood. Some of the knights were forced to hold the crowd back as they vilify her.

All the while Princess Lena's face remains nonchalant with no reaction to the words and testimony. That only causes the crowd to be more riled up as they slander her even more for her lack of feelings of regret. An intrepid man spits a goggle as it lands on Princess Lena's cheek.

The man beams with pride as the masses congratulate him and the knights push him back. But slowly his pride deflates as Princess Lena does not even flush with humiliation or move to wipe the wad. Slowly the glob runs down her cheek before falling to the floor and staining it.

The man feels a rush of embarrassment as he hides himself among the masses. The court calms down as His Majesty rises to his feet to announce the verdict. "Princess Lena, you are found guilty of your crimes. You will be stripped of your ranks, merits and family name. From this day forth, you are to spend your remaining days in prison," King Julius of Alyssum harshly said.

After a pause, King Julius adds, "Is there anyone who objects or has new evidence to bring forth?" The court is silent as a cricket's lonely chirp is heard. The nobles smile with satisfaction as the woman is finally being removed and the masses howl for blood is quenched.

A soft rustle is heard as a bishop of the Church of Light steps forward. "Your majesty, please have clemency, she is a child of the light. The child did not know that which she did. Entrust her to the goddess and we will ensure that the light blooms within her," the balding Bishop solemnly said.

The crowd rustles as King Julius brows furrow at the request. To deny a request from the Church of Light brought its own set of consequences, but to deny the people the right of justice as well. Stuck at an intercross, Lena rises to her feet.

"Jailers to my dungeon," Lena coldly said as she extended her wrists to be shackled.

The guards automatically move to obey and shackle her, before they realized their actions. The bishop opens his mouth and closes it in a thin line. "As you wish, your majesty," the Bishop dryly said as he took a step back.

The guards swiftly lead the prisoner away as the court is left unsettled. A prisoner requesting to be taken away, where was the fun in that? The court is blazing with whispers as a council member steps forth to resume the tasks of the day.

The bishop swiftly departs from the court and writes to the headquarters. Practically throwing the bird into the air, the messenger bird leaps into the sky and heads home.

The message bird flies until at last it sees a sparking city with a large white building in the center. The bird coos happily as it flaps its tired wings to its nesting perch. A man takes the message and swiftly the message passes through countless hands until a fair priestess hands the message over to Cardinal Richelieu.

Cardinal Richelieu dismisses the priestess with a thankful smile as he reads the letter.

"Your grace,

Alyssum has declined to entrust the girl to us as the girl chose to enter prison herself.

Bishop Monroe."

Cardinal Richelieu drums his fingers against the desk in thought. The result was within calculations, but still he would have preferred another outcome. Nonetheless, all had worked as it should have to draw the hidden backer out. It was merely matter of waiting and trapping him/her.