* Chapter 29.2 - Chalk Board

Liaison Gauthier returns to the empty classroom as he wearily seats himself. "Well, what did you find?" Barclay asked from the shadows.

Liaison Gauthier almost falls out of his seat as he sees Barclay sitting in the shadows. "Nothing, that we don't already know," Liaison Gauthier tiredly replied.

Barclay nods as he says, "Gauthier, are you getting any sleep?"

"Yes, but not enough as I need."

"I needn't remind you, that your health is a priority too. We can't do this without you, Gauthier."

Liaison Gauthier sighs and says, "I know, but there is so much to do."

Barclay pulls out a pocket watch and says, "Take a nap for now. They won't be back for some time."

"Is that an order or a request?" Liaison Gauthier impishly asked.

Barclay snorts and says, "Take it however you want, but get some needed sleep."

Liaison Gauthier grunts as he curls up under a work table and soon is fast asleep. Barclay carefully watches his exhausted friend. Lately, he had been constantly pushing himself fulfilling his role as teacher and Liaison.

Barclay recalls before the General left for the championship, she had called him into her office. The general was sorting papers as she glanced up and greeted him with a warm smile. "Sir, you called for me?" Barclay asked.

"Yes, please come in and close the door behind you," The general instructed as she placed the papers down. Barclay obediently does so as he takes a seat before her.

"Barclay, I need you to promise me something," the General solemnly said.

Barclay furrows his brows and says, "Of course, anything, sire."

"What I am going to tell you, is only known to myself and one other person. You will be the third to know. I have your word on the subject?" The general once more restated.

"Yes, General, sir! I would never betray thy trust," Barclay firmly answered.

The general studies Barclay, before leaning back as she rests her hands on her desk. "What do you know of Vidal?" The general asked.

Barclay eyes widen with surprise as he swiftly replies, "A monster by all accounts."

"True. But are all necromancers like that?"

"Well-, I have never met a necromancer. But since there aren't more Vidal's running about I would presume not. That does not mean I wish to acquaint myself with any."

"You already have."

Barclay stiffens as the General continues, "Gauthier is a necromancer."

The general pauses as Barclay tries to wrap his mind around the subject.

Barclay faintly protests, "But-."

"But What?" The general interjected, "Is he not your friend? Will his being a necromancer suddenly change that? He is still the same man you know. Only now you know a bit more about him."

Barclay thinks back to how they met. Though soft spoken, he was quick to smile and hard to anger. A good man willing to help, though a tad quiet at times. Better yet a good teacher, patient with all his students and more than willing to give extra aid even at the cost of his own personal time. And the best of friends, who had more than once covered a tavern bill without asking for payment.

"My apologies, General. You are correct, it's just a bit suddenly wrap the mind about. Aye, it's like finding out your wife has webbed feet. Strange, but you don't love her any less," Barclay firmly said.

The general raises an eyebrow at his comment but thankfully doesn't ask. "Good and thank you. But I called you for another reason, I want you to protect him," the general firmly said as Barclay raises an eyebrow at that comment.

The general continues, "Gauthier serves me personally, but there may come a day, when I may not be here. I need to know someone will be there to protect form others and himself. Can I entrust this task to you, Barclay?"

Barclay heart beats with pride at being tasked with such an important request. "I will protect him with all my might, General. I can assure you I will not fail," Barclay solemnly vowed as the general accepted his response with a satisfied smile as she dismisses him.

Barclay rises to his feet and pauses at the door. Turning around he says, "General, what do you mean by informing of Gauthier's abilities? Pardon my frankness, but it sounds as though the general is aware of something that we are not."

The general pauses and glances up. "It is precisely because it is silent," The general gravely replied.

"I'm sorry, but I'm confused."

"Have you heard of the saying, beware of the silence?"

Barclay scratches his ear. "No, sir."

"Ah, but you know of it?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'm sure you've experienced the principle. The more silence there is, the bigger prelude that will follow," The general quietly said.

Barclay understood the concept too well. The enemies silence was the most frightening as the enemy had not gone away, but was organizing itself to checkmate in a single move.

Footsteps are heard as Barclay glances up as a group of guards pass by. Barclay shakes his head warily as he returns to guarding the sleeping man. He had been tasked to safeguard his friend, he would not fail.