* Chapter 18 - Duchy of Hyacinth

-January 12th of 1313

Lena allows Holly and Delilah to debate her clothing as Dolly and Lena munch on some snacks enjoying the show. Lena is rather satisfied how at ease Delilah with Holly as does Holly because she is capable of bickering with Delilah rather than ignoring her.

The last two months following the royal announcement of Lena's new title were full as Lena was busy establishing her presence at court as the courtiers wished to better acquaint themselves with the new princess. But Lena was mostly plagued by leering court young men.

After being delayed in the Capital for weeks Lena would finally be able to return to the Bartholomew household. But it was not meant to be.

Her Royal Father with great pomp bestowed upon Lena the additional title of Grand Duchess and awarded the Duchy of Hyacinth for her own. It is quite common for an additional title to be added to royal children to grant them their own personal land. But usually it is not quite so grand as that of Grand Duchess.

However, regardless of appearances the gift bestowed upon Lena was not quite what it seemed. The issue lay in the fact the Hyacinth was the province in the worst of conditions and the most problematic out of all the provinces. The province was overrun by bandits and criminals. Gathering taxes was impossible unless the tax gathers were heavily guarded and even then, one had to find people to gather taxes as the people would flee into the mountains.

The previous Duke had run the Duchy into the ground and upon doing so, his household fled the kingdom abandoning the townsmen. And although the Duchy wasn't completely destitute it was in just rather rough shape.

Now said event had happened some twenty years ago, but her Royal Father had not been able to foist the Duchy onto anyone until now. And as such, Lena found herself in a ragged worn down castle and a Duchy with no potential prospects.

Tired of the ongoing bickering Lena clothes herself in her usual clothes and escapes as. Delilah and Holly remain bickering. Sneaking out of the castle was easy as the current staff consisted of three staff members, Dolly, Holly and Delilah. But, on the morrow, Holly and Delilah were to contract new personnel for the castle.

The townsmen greet Dolly and Lena without much enthusiasm or respect as they pass by. The town is rather ragged and run down stricken with poverty. After a tour of the land, Dolly and Lena return to the castle to find two rather aggravated women.

Holly and Delilah loudly lecture Lena about proper princess behavior as she and Dolly eat. Finally, the two of them exhaust themselves before sitting down to join them for a meal.

After the meal, Lena trudges to the study. The faded rich carpet greets her as Lena sits down in a rickety chair and sorts through the piles of documents for the next hours. The night is almost gone when Lena finally finishes sorting the piles.

Most of the documents are debt collection notices and overdue taxes. If Lena ignores the lack of taxes she won't have any funds, but if she collects them from the already improvised people, the people will revolt against her.

What can Lena possible do to revitalize this Duchy?

New Cuisine? Everyday people barely have enough to eat.

Tourism? There's nothing to see nor are there any hot springs nearby, she had double checked.

Clothing? Who has time to learn about fashion, when one is barely clothed.