Chapter 31 - Culprit

Barclay and Liaison Gauthier privately approached Captain Alcott of the guards. The handsome dark haired man's neatly trimmed beard was greying. The wrinkles on his face were gathered from his position rather than life.

The two stand in his study as Captain Alcott studies the two men before him. One an older gentleman with too dark eyes and gaunt figure of a man with deep eyeshadows. Captain Alcott motions for the two men to speak.

Liaison Gauthier ventures to speak first as he had military standing. "Captain Alcott, sir, we need thine aid in setting a trap for the culprit," Liaison Gauthier firmly asked.

Captain Alcott narrows his eyes and says, "The guards have been ordered to coordinate with your unit. There is no need for my interference."

Barclay and Liaison Gauthier eye each other for a moment. "Permission to speak freely, Captain Alcott?" Liaison Gauthier hesitantly said.

Captain Alcott's frowns and gruffly says, "I do not like being played. Plainly state your mind."

Before Liaison Gauthier can speak, Barclay interjects, "There's a rat among your men."

Captain Alcott stiffens, but gestures for Barclay to continue. Without hesitation Barclay resumes speaking, "The killer though deranged is immaculate about his crimes only guards would have that type of training in regards to crimes. That is not say that it could not be another criminal but there are too many discrepancies.

An assassin can be a vicious killer, but they hunt for money and no ransom has been exchanged. A violent brute of the streets tends to beat the woman to death, none of them were beaten. And a nobleman, would never target a noble's daughter, but if he did, he would ensure the body was destroyed. For a noble's wrath is always as terrible as the offense committed.

None of the woman have ever encountered each other no share same interests, religious beliefs, friends, social status that would allow them to meet. But a trademark that all the victims shared their neighborhoods were safe, nightly patrolled by the guard's night watch."

Barclay pauses as lets his last words sink before continuing, "No witnesses were found to any of the crimes. Not impossible but rare. But who would know the ins and outs of the city so well?

People of the streets keep to the shadows. They rarely venture into streets regularly patrolled by the watch unless there is a prize to be found. And if so, it would be a onetime gig, none would dare return till the heat cooled down.

But a guard, a guard knows the people of their regular routes. The guards tend to know the schedule of the regulars of their patrolled streets. Many a crime has been stopped, because a guard recognizes a stranger out of place. A guard is trusted and no one would think otherwise."

Captain Alcott studies the two men before him, but he cannot find a reason to gainsay their words. Every fiber of him was indignant over any of his men being called into question. But his rational whispered that he should listen. Putting his feelings aside, Captain Alcott curtly says, "What is that you will have me do?"

The two men glance at each other in relief as Liaison Gauthier carefully says, "There are three guards we suspect. Please assign them to one of the neighborhoods we will give to watch. And leave the rest to us."

Captain Alcott briskly nods in reply and motions them to leave. With a thoughtful eye, he watches them close the door behind them. The two were more than just run of the mill men. They each had a good pair of eyes and mind. They had been chosen very well even he would have been ill pressed to find such talented fellows.

Captain Alcott runs his mind back to the figure to this day still haunted him. A beauty, no doubt with vibrant red hair and sapphire eyes. But what drew a man in was her piercing gaze and the confident air about her. Though be trialed for a crime, not once did she lose her composure nor falter. Till the end, not once did she speak as if saying, "Find me guilty or innocent, I will not care a fig."

Prime Minster Bartholomew refused to believe his daughter was guilty. Captain Alcott had found himself arguing once or twice with his friend. But each time, Randolph would say, "Had she been accused of violence or an unruly act, she would be found guilty. But of such a crime? No, my daughter would do no such thing."

But every person that Captain Alcott had meet that had been chosen by her were excellent. The newest addition to his men was a former solider form Fort Terra. Not only fully committed but exceptionally trained, easily beating most of the guards. The new guard joked he was only average back at Fort Terra, the real monsters had all remained behind.

The seed of doubt had been planted and Captain Alcott found himself unable uproot it. His mind said, that she had been found guilty, but his heart said, that such a fine warrior would never fall so short. Shaking such thoughts away, Captain Alcott summons his second in command to struct him carefully of his new orders. As he waits, Captain Alcott finds himself returning to that day repeatedly.