* Chapter 10.2- Stirrings

~ POV of General Percy Byron (General of Kingdom of Alyssum) ~

General Percy keenly sips his cup as he waits for his much-anticipated guests to arrive. With a pleased smile, General Percy studies his two children. A handsome, robust youth with fine brown hair softly speaks to his sister, a beautiful, feminine maiden with flowing golden locks smiles prettily showing her lovely dimples.

His chest puffs out in pride at the sight of them. General Percy's son, Cassius was his pride and joy. And whereas, Marigold, his daughter was the apple of his eye. And if not for that wench Delilah, she would be the one to be wedded to the crown prince.

General Percy brows furrow darkly as he forcefully reminded himself would change soon. He was not the only noble unsatisfied with the recent decisions made by the king. The difference is that unlike those cowards who only mutter under their breaths, General Percy would act.

A light knock is heard at the window as General Percy sputters in surprise as the window silently slides open. General Percy red faced nods at the two hooded figures that enter the room. The larger figure sits themselves across from me, whilst the smaller figure remains standing at the seated hooded figures side.

His children remain quiet and attentive to their every movement. General Percy proudly nods in approval and raises his hand to pour them drinks, but the seated figure shakes their head.

General Percy nods in approval of their refusal. These people were far from fools unlike the current King of Alyssum. That man had become too soft for the kingdom's own good. And when rust creeps in, one must forcibly remove the stain until the blade shines anew.

General Percy silently places the silver wine jar back onto the table and respectfully says, "Greetings envoys, what may this humble servant do for you?"

The standing figure scoffs softly revealing that the figure is a woman. The seated figure does not speak for a moment until a masculine voice says, "Are you willing to betray your king?"

General Percy vehemently replies, "My king would have never polluted our ranks by allowing a woman to join! That man is no king of mine!"

"Very good in that case merely keep us informed of any movements. You shall be given a time and a place to prove yourself and until that time, do not act rashly," the masculine voice coldly ordered.

The pleasant-sounding feminine voice swiftly adds, "For now, there is something simple that can be done. Have your children persuade the prince to act."

My son and daughter both breathlessly exert, "Of course, that shan't be a problem."

General Percy smiles with pride at their actions as the hooded male figure reaches into his pocket and removes a small pouch. The masculine figure tosses the pouch and says, "Use it only in emergencies."

Without another word, they both bound out the window and vanish into the dark night. His children speak in soft excitedly voices as General Percy drown their voices out in deep thought.

*

~ POV of Minister LaCroix (Prime Minister of Kingdom of Cypress) ~

Minister LaCroix nervously adjusts his mask before seating himself at the table full of seated masked and hooded figures. One does not want to be late to a meeting, the last person ended up as a living statue.

At an unseen gesture the guards firmly close the doors behind them. With an audible clack, the doors firmly lock behind them as all the hidden figurers turn their faces towards the head of the table, where there resides a sun masked figure.

The sun masked figure in a raspy voice speaks, "Greetings members of Typhon, I welcome you to our semi-annual 403rd meeting."

The sun masked figure seats himself as the moon masked figure rises to their feet and a middle aged female voice says, "Please proceed to report on the accounts of the organization."

The moon masked figure seats herself as a fox masked figure rises to their feet and begins to account for the report on all activities, before onto the next figure and so forth.

With some hesitation, Minister LaCroix rises to his feet and reports, "All has been going as planned except that there was an unpresented event. I am sure the elders are aware of the obstacle in the north that arose."

There is silence as all members turn to look at the elders at the head of the table. The moon masked figure stand as Minister LaCroix embarrassedly seats himself. Minister LaCroix who held such great power felt like a shamed child.

Cold sweat slides down his back. It wasn't his fault that the soldiers of Cypress and commanders were too much of a fool to take Fort Terra or the Kingdom of Alyssum. It was that a witch arose and somehow managed to defeat the Cypress forces.

A figure wearing a cracked mask leans out from the shadows next to the sun masked elder. "Yes, we are aware of the situation. That is why I will be personally oversee the handling of that obstacle seeing as you lack the capacity to do so. I trust the council will not oppose my decision," a middle-aged man coldly said.

Minister LaCroix shiver as does the rest of the council. No one on the council would dare to raise a hand to oppose the action.

The figure in the cracked mask leans back in his seat as the council head rises to his feet and says, "Very well, do as ye see fit. Everyone is else is dismissed except for LaCroix."

Minister LaCroix pales behind his ask as the figures silently file out. The door shuts ominously behind them as Minister LaCroix struggles to calm his beating heart.

Suddenly a figure appears behind Minister LaCroix and places a cold dagger against his neck. The sharp blade quivers almost hungrily against his skin as it causes a trickle of blood to spill forth. Minister LaCroix clenches his teeth to keep from shivering lest it cause the blade to plunge even further into his neck.

The sun figured mask council head warmly says, "LaCroix, calm yourself. This is merely a reminder, that the council does not tolerate failure. Although usually we do take more drastic measures, but several members did plead on your behalf. The council is not without understanding or compassion for your situation, seeing as you are usually quite a capable member.

However, this will be the only pardon you shall receive. LaCroix, I hope that you do exceed our expectations for your own sake."

Before Minister LaCroix can express his gratitude figures rush from out of the shadows to firmly hold him in place. One of the figures removes Minister LaCroix mask and stuffs a clean cloth into his mouth as others spread his fingers out the table.

Minister LaCroix tries to move, but is unable too. A jolt of fire races through him as the blade cleanly slices his thumb off. Suddenly weak, everything begins to fade away from his eyes as his last glimpse is that of the council pointedly turning their backs on him. The council does not tolerate failure.