* Chapter 7 - Summons

-August 1st of 1312

Lena sighs as she walks back to headquarters. She had taken to sitting down with the men to eat to familiarize myself better with them. It wouldn't do if she acted like an aloof and distant leader to them. Especially considering she was the female noble in charge of them.

With joy Lena slumps into her chair as a rather worried Holly rushes in and thrusts a letter into her hands. Lena furrows her brows as she studies the letter that bears the King's seal, before tearing it open to read.

"Captain Bartholomew,

Word has reached us of your successful and triumphant victory against the enemy. With the greatest of honor and gratitude you are to be awarded with the title of General.

Captain Bartholomew is to present herself immediately at the Capital for the awarding ceremony."

Lena frowns with annoyance as her hands tightens around the message, almost crumbling the letter in half.

Holly quietly asks, "What does it say, my lady?"

Without a word, Lena hands Holly, the letter to read as Lena impatiently drums her fingers against the desk. She had been expecting this, but hoped that wouldn't be the case. But now that the tides have changed she is being called back to be relieved.

Holly interrupts Lena's thoughts as she worriedly says, "My lady, what are we to do? You can't just abandon the men and the women of the fort, they are counting on you!"

Lena rather wearily replies, "I know that Holly, but orders are orders-." Lena suddenly pause as a clause appears in her mind.

"Holly, whom is issuing the order asking to present myself at court?" Lena firmly asked.

Holly rather confused replies, "His majesty, my Lady?"

Lena warmly says, "Very good, but this letter only carries his majesties seal. How can I be certain this isn't a trap? Why didn't his majesty write me a personal letter of invitation and sign it himself as usual?"

Holly frowns and replies, "Well, because-," she pauses mid-sentence as understanding dawns in her eyes. "I see, my Lady. You can't be certain this isn't a trap, but if it isn't what is my Lady to do?" Holly curiously said with a slight impish sparkle in her eyes.

"According to military article 131 (a), if a military officer is suspicious of a received command and is unable to verify the veracity of said message, the officer in question may send a replacement in their place to confirm the veracity of the matter.

Per military article 131 (b), if an officer is under attack or under siege at receiving such an unconfirmed message, an officer is to remain at their post at all times regardless of the matter at hand," Lena smoothly said as a look of slight awe enters Holly's eyes.

"Holly, I have an important mission for you. At dawn, you are to depart to the capital and accept the title confirmed by his majesty on my behalf, mentioning the above reasons for my lack of my attendance at the award ceremony.

And when you do depart Holly, do so with the utmost haste and care. Choose some women soldiers to accompany you, I believe you will be much safer in their company," Lena tiredly said as she rose to feet to get some sleep. Staying up late to observe the spies was finally starting to get to her.

Holly nods in understanding as Lena hands her the message as Holly protectively hides the message on her person, before priming departing out of the room.