* Chapter 25 - Tick Tock

-April 11th of 1313

Lena sips rose tea as the last of her things are re-packed. They had been forced to remain behind for three extra days and Lena's nerves were at their wits end not from the over socializing, but rather due to Lady Eva Monroe's actions. The situation had worsened as Lady Evan Monroe not only accused her of being the cause and mastermind of Saint Alastair's appearance in a well-known establishment that had a reputation for a level of playfulness.

The court was filled with rumors and nasty gossip. Some argued she had enchanted him, others seduced him, and the worst said that she was purposefully trying to destroy Saint Alastair. But Alastair had shown no such distress or indications of plotting that night. Either Alastair was a brilliant actor or a pervert. Unless it was a trap, but for whom?

Lena sighs as she returns her attention to the matter at hand. Her current primary priority was to confirm the love interest of Delilah. She couldn't fully discard the already met candidates as she still needed to meet the other two, Ciel Eckhart and Khan Zinnia.

Which was rather troublesome to say the least. Because those two possessed the most power and political influence of the candidates. If Delilah turned either of them down, there was a possibility that the prior route A would re-open. Alyssum would not be facing one empire, but two mighty empires. Inevitable defeat would be a matter of hours not days.

The clocks ticking rings loudly in Lena's ears as though a hidden noose is slowly tightening around her neck.

*

-April 12th of 1313

Rather than heading directly to the capital, Lena kept her promise to visit her mother first. Her mother resided in the Duchy, since she was soon to give birth. With joy at Lena's arrival, her mother's birthing contractions began. The hours went by as her mother labored in pain until at dawn two wailing babies were born.

The still rosy babies newly bathed and swaddled nursed against their mother's chest. Duchess Anna Marie sighs happily as she glances at the faint puff of silver hair on their head. For the brief moments, they opened their eyes, their eyes were already the infamous turquoise eyes of Bartholomew.

Lena impatiently waits for the babies to finish nursing before taking them into her arms. But refrains herself at seeing the joyful expression on her mother's face. Lena could not recall he mothers face for her first birth or her second birth. But she liked to think that her mother, the Duchess face was just as pleased to see her.

With a gentle smile, her mother holds out a tiny infant for Lena to hold. Lena happily takes the infant as she burps him on his back and he spits up. Lena wasn't bothered, but Holly surely would be.

A warm fuzzy feeling settles in Lena's heart as she gently touches the babies body from his fuzzy hair to his tiny little toes. Lena places a gentle kiss on his head as the baby begins to stir feeling the loss of his twin. With great care Lena returns her younger brother to her mother's arms.

The babies' sighs die away as they become still upon finding each other. A silly grin is still on Lena's face as she studies their sleeping figures. After a while, Lena finally says, "What did you decide to name them, mother?"

"The oldest Henry and the younger, Thomas," Duchess Anna Marie happily said as she studies her eldest. Her eldest was so very different from expected despite her inherited beauty. Loud and impulsive, but calm and threatening.

Duchess Anna Marie sighs a bit at Lena's face. Her daughter should be happily wed, but that had been stolen away. And now, she was shouldering burdens that were not hers to bear. She should have never permitted her daughter to be taken away. But now, it was too late.

A small smile appears on her face as Lena croons to the sleeping precious bundles of joy.

"Sleep, my fine young baby
Lullabye, a-bye.
Quietly the clear moon looks down
Into your cradle
I will tell you fairytales,
And sing you little songs,
Sleep on, close your eyes,
Lullabye, a-bye."

Exhausted, Duchess Anna Marie closes her eyes as she falls asleep to the soft singing of her daughter's voice as she dreams of simpler times, when everything was not so convoluted.