* Chapter 16 - Royal Proclamation

-November 11th of 1312

Lena gazes out of the carriage window deep in thought as the first early snow falls. By all right, Lena should have departed the day after the battle, but she had sent Holly in her place stating another obscure military law. His majesty had graciously received Holly, but had written a pointed letter giving her ten days to present herself.

The last ten days had been busy as Lena had released the prisoners of Cypress and conducted a prison exchange with their new alley. A peace treaty had been written and signed as the last of Cypress forces happily returned home. And strangely enough, the two groups parted on good terms as the fort sent them with a large party.

The wheels clumped with snow roll to a muffled stop before the palace steps. Lena gratefully waves to the carriage driver and makes her way to the young palace aide. The palace aide wordlessly leads Lena as she notices the curious gazes of the palace maids and manservants who stare at her with a mixture of awe and fear in their eyes.

They were not alone in their thoughts. There were those that admired Lena's feats and others that were frightened at what she was capable of. Either way, Lena was a curious person to beheld.

At the grand carved doors of the inner council room, the aide stopped as two guards opened the door for Lena to enter. Lena nodded her thanks as she proceeded into the council room that is brimming with wordless tension.

Lena bows and cordially says, "I greet the council and His Royal Majesty. I hope that you are all well," before rising to her feet as she waits for the council to speak.

Lena stiffens as her solemn father winks at her. With wary eyes Lena keeps an eye on the council and the exit.

His Royal Majesty finally rises from his seat and head towards her. With a soft smile His Majesty halts before her and says, "Kneel, Lady Bartholomew."

Lena automatically complies as His Royal Majesty declares, "From this day forth ye will no longer be known as Lady Bartholomew, but as Princess Lena Sorrell of Alyssum."

Lena gapes in understanding at her father's lack of eye contact. Lena hastily speaks, "Your majesty, though I am honored I cannot accept the honor. I am merely a general. I am not fit to be part of the royal family."

His Royal Majesty holds his hand out to Lena as she instinctively takes his hand as His Royal Majesty smoothly exclaims, "My dearest daughter, I am sure that this is overwhelming for you, but the council and I have agreed to this.

If you are worried there will be protests, I can assure you there will be not. My queen and your royal younger brother, the crown prince and royal sister have approved of thy appointment as princess.

The official announcement shall be in three days hence and as such, you have more than ample time to prepare. If there are any subordinates that you wish to accompany you, merely ask and thy wish shall be fulfilled."

Lena is unable to respond as His Majesty firmly seats her next to him usually reserved for the attending royal heirs. The rest of the meeting passes Lena by as a blur as she tries to wrap her mind around the situation.

Never in Lena's wildest dreams would she have dreamt of such an appointment. After all, it is no small nor easy task to be a royal. One is always in the eye of the public and of the elite.

The council finally concludes their meeting and excuse themselves only leaving his Majesty and her father-, in the inner council. Once the doors close her Father turns to her and mischievously says, "I bet you didn't expect that, now did you, my Lena?"