* Chapter 23 - Final Match

-April 7th of 1313

Lena sits in her private VIP Box petting Dolly ears who is sound asleep in her lap. Holly and Delilah doze as they watch for the 3rd day's semi-finalists. Lena would have paid more attention if she was a participant or if it was the finals, but it wasn't.

Lena sighs tiredly exhausted from attending social gathers. They all were as Holly and Delilah accompanied her, but the most tired was Dolly. She was running around with her animals following the love candidates and Lady Monroe.

But what bothered Lena was the event that happened some nights ago, sick of the court cronies Lena excused herself in need of air. Alastair was speaking to the other ambassadors of Alyssum in attendance. The only reason would be concerning Church of Light, but why so informally?

Lena might had let it go if not for the that irritating man has been popping up everywhere. If it wasn't a player's yearning, he was inviting to pray or attend the services in the local citadel. Lena had politely turned him down each time, but she was starting to think that Alastair was a sociopath with stalking tendencies.

Just that very morning, Lena had merely halted a mere second to appreciate Gray's fluffy ears and tail. But that millisecond opening was all that Alastair needed. Alastair was suddenly at her side and asked, "Princess Lena, would you give me the honor of escorting you."

"I would be honored to be escorted by his Holiness. But Saint Alastair, have you not already promised my dear friend, Marigold to accompany her to the tournament? I do not wish to be the cause forcing Holiness to retract his words and break a promise to a hopeful girl. Perhaps another time maybe?" Lena firmly said with a glimmer of triumph in her eyes.

Alastair responded with such a sweet smile that all the nearby court ladies began to swoon. Even Dolly, Holly, and Delilah, were close to falling under his charm. Lena instinctively moved before them and blocked their view of the treacherous smile.

Alastair responds by gently taking her a clump of her and tenderly kissing it. Lena shuddered and refrained from telling to keep his grimy mouth and hands to himself, while the Court Ladies looked on with jealous gazes.

Lena was not about to let a brat cause her to blush, besides hair didn't feel. That type of nonsense only worked on women or girls whose heads were full of rose colored dreams. But the brat was also trying to drive a wedge between her and the court woman. Jealously is a deadly sin. Why merely look at Macbeth and see how that turned out?

Firmly pulling her hair out of his grip Lena pasted a smile on her face. "Thank you, your Holiness. I could not have gotten the sticky candy out of my hair without your help. I was afraid that I would have to cut it, but now I won't. Please do not keep me from your previous engagement," Lena sweetly said before brushing past him.

But what bothered Lena was how easily Alastair closed in on her. Those types of reflexes aren't easy to acquire and are the trademark of an assassin. His soundless movements when grasping her hair only confirmed her suspicions.

The stadium roars with cheers announcing that the match's ending. Lena sighs with annoyance as she returns her gaze to the final matches below. Hours later, a victor is finally crowned, Melankomas of the Kingdom of Corral.

Lena cheers with the crowd for the winner, Melankomas. A splendid fighter who won using only his fists defeating his rivals who were weapon users. A wonderful addition to the Kingdom of Corral.

Princess Bridgette Hlynn, choose him to represent Corral and only showcased her strong leadership skills. Which was wonderful given that Corral was a matriarchal society. Which was a bit startling, once one remembered Oasis was marrying into her family. It was hard to imagine such a domineering man easily allowing anyone telling him what to do especially having been raised in a strong patriarchal society.

Lena turns away as she catches sight of Belladonna in the distance following Xerxes. Belladonna was a bit arrogant, but quite kind if one got past her arrogant exterior. It was a shame she was in love with that fat head

Princess Alita walks behind them Princess Bridgette as Lena sighs bitterly. So many ample opportunities to hug Alita, but she had been detained most pointedly every time. Lena did not understand how Gray had not fallen in love with the gentle beauty, but rather teased the poor girl at every turn. It was no wonder Alita did not care for Gray.

With the crowd still chanting Lena makes her way out of the arena and returns to her quarters to prepare for tonight's celebratory ball. With great joy, Lena will return home, but she hopes that she may someday return as a tourist and not as a dignitary.

~ POV of Alastair Florentine (Saint of the Church of Light) ~

Eva clings to Alastair as she would accidently bump against him and murmur a shy apologize. Alastair snorts at Eva's obvious display of jealously. It was rather unfitting for to display her affections in public.

Alastair scans the room until he spots his target on the far side of the ballroom, Princess Lena. Upon reflex a warm smile creeps on his face. The Scarlett Princess was rather aloof, but that was what made things so fun. But he would end the hunt tonight, either she fell in love or he would ensure that that she fell from grace.

Alastair effortlessly glides through the crowded ballroom as he detangles from Eva and throws her into the embrace of crony of the court. Princess Lena has her back as Alastair approaches, whilst her attendant a strawberry haired maid coldly eyes him.

Alastair knew from experience that the maid never smiled. But the other attendant catches his attention. Had he met her before, but where? The answer is on the tip of his tongue as Prince Lena turns to greet him.

Princess Lena smiles warmly as she greets him. Satisfied at her obvious feelings, Alastair places a lingering kiss on her hand. Princess Lena trembles as she swiftly withdraws her hand form his grasp.

Seeing his chance, Alastair sweetly asks, "Princess Lena, I ask for a walk in the gardens?

Princess Lena eyes glitter as she replies, "Yes, it would be my pleasure your Holiness."

Alastair extends his forearm as she intertwines her hand in the crook of his arm. The moonlit gardens wait for them beneath a starry sky. The Demon Kingdom was famous for its lunar flowers, that bloom under the night sky. The star shaped flowers blossom before them as the lunar flowers glow in hues of white to shades of dark blue, releasing a heavenly scent like that of honey and citrus.

Princess Lena smile at the beauty of the night scenery as Alastair leads her away from prying eyes. As they walk, Alastair says a poem out loud, "

"She walks in beauty, like the night

Of cloudless climes and starry skies;

And all that's best of dark and bright

Meet in her aspect and her eyes;"

An enchanting smile blooms on her face and for a moment Alastair finds his breath taken away. Swiftly composing himself, Alastair turns his face as Princess Lena ducks away. With a sigh, Alastair reminds himself that the princess is a head taller than him.

Princess Lena smiles dazzling at him as she lies through her teeth, "Your holiness, Saint Alastair, I am honored by thy affections, but I have a confession to make. I prefer the company of women than that of men."

Alastair coughs in embarrassment as he swiftly changes tactics. "I know, child. I merely wished to embrace you to show mine understanding and sympathy for thy plight. The Church of Light extends its open doors to you. Should you need sanctuary or have need, merely ask," Alastair firmly said with a benevolent face.

Princess Lena slightly stiffens but mutely accepts his words. Alastair watches Princess Lena swiftly depart as he sighs to himself. The cardinal was not going to be pleased, but he had not failed his mission yet. He would just have to resort to making a faithful member for the Light.

Alastair hears something at the edge of his hearing as a heavy object strikes his head and everything goes black.