Chapter 34

Not even my closest friends know about my pills, my problems, my pain. In this tortured, terrible world, sometimes the weakest soldiers need a little help. My dress was my armor, my courage was my sword and the pills, my shield. The war was the world.

The world isn't fighting me anymore so I've tossed away my shield. My sword still strapped to the back of my armor though, just in case.

I decided to go back to class. I needed to distract my mind from it all. The bell rings suddenly, loud and shrill. The water and two Panados down my throat. Autumn is waiting for me outside the nurse. We walk outside and stay silent. I've told her my head hurts.It's break now so we head to the tree where we always sit. There is a cool breeze blowing through the leaves and my hair. I snuggle further into the jersey, it smells just like him but it's starting to smell like me and I don't know how to feel about it.

The girls are all sitting under the tree as usual, they all look surprised to see me. I wonder why? Maybe they think I'm being sent away to a mental hospital. The girl who needs depression pills for love. I can see it now- a huge headline- everyone's sobbing, no, actually how would they react? I can Imagine Julia and her gang laughing at me through the soundproof glass walls of the box I'll be put in. My mom will bring Max to come see me and he will be scared. My mom will become to ashamed to call me her daughter- and joe, oh Joe. What am I going to do with you...

"Megs, babe. We've missed you so much!" Daniella is waving her hand dramatically at me.

"Oh hey! Yeh I'm fine. Hey Jay. No it was just the flu- Samara! You don't have to move away!" I laugh, they always make me feel a little bit better. Jay is sitting with us today but she seems like she fits right in. They ask me tonnes of questions and tell me what happened during the week. The only memorable moment was when Mr Matthew got his eyebrows singed while substituting for the science teacher.

"That's sounds great. I'll have to check it out but do you guys know where Joe- the boys are?"

Autumn scrunches her face and makes a flat noise, we all look at her. "Well, it's all kind of fuzzy after you fainted- every one just panicked and Joe-"

"Back up a minute sister! You fainted?!" Annabell slams her hands down on the table and Samara and Daniella's faces are like fish.

I tuck a piece of stray hair behind my ear," Yeh it was fine though, the nurse said it's from um.. all the homework I missed. Like stress mixed with what's left of the flu. What did Joe do Autumn?" Trying to change the subject.

Luckily for me everyone except Annabell is waiting for Autumn to carry on so she does.

"Anyway Joe was like Mr. Super Man and picked you up and ran out of the class. Like he didn't even ask the teacher. Truth be told, I don't think she noticed. So Joe took you and I followed, then I waited out side because I got in trouble for loosing my schedule. After like 15 minutes inside with the nurse your mom arrived and Joe left, storming out with a crumpled piece of paper in his hands."

"What happened next!" I bang my hand on the table.

"Well you can ask him right now! Hey Joe, hi James."

I look around only to be engulfed in his arms," Please say you are okay." He whispers through my hair, his head on my shoulders. My body relaxes as his arms tighten around me, I exhale and Joe takes his arms off me. My body is left cold as he steps away. Hold on, Something is off with his face.

"Joe oh my god gosh what happened to your face!" I rush back over to him, cradling his face with my hand. He has a dark bruise forming behind his left eye, a faint blue line is circling his eye as well.

"It's nothing," he says sheepishly, drawing out the words.

"He got in a fight," James says before taking a bite out of Annabells apple, she slaps him and he chuckles.

"With who! And why? Joe you can't just go beating people up-."

"I didn't," He sighs, "Logan got defensive after I spoke to Julia so he punched me. I threw a couple back, Logan got suspended, end of Storify. Now can we just focus on you?" He sits down next to whet I was about to.

A wave of betrayal flows through me. Why was he speaking to Julia? I have no right to be jealous," Why- why did Logan punch you?"

James cuts Joe off before he can get a word out," He nearly slammed Julia against the lockers, I though he was going to hit her for a second  but instead he started speaking really deep and I couldn't hear him but she looked kind of smug but scared at the same time. Anyway Logan came in a minute later after she screamed at Joe and then he punched him."

"Yeh and that's it. Nothing else happened okay? Can we all shut up about it now?," he takes a good couple of seconds to pull at his hair so I bring his hand down and don't let go.

"Joe, why didn't you get in trouble?" Samara asks him.

"He did and Everyone was too scared to say anything and the teachers saw Logan throw the first punch," James glances over at Joe as he says this, Joe's jaw is clenched shut.

"Megan I'm taking you home," he takes me by my hand and stands up.

"What? No it's still the morning, and the nurse says I can stay." Everyone is quiet, I don't mean to make him angry but I can see the fire in his eyes.

"I am driving you home Megan, please come." He doesn't make eye contact with any of use, I give in.

"Okay fine, can you guys please excuse me? Oh well then- bye I guess!" I shout back as Joe practically drags me to the car park. Once in his car, we buckle up.

"Megs, we need to talk.

Howzit bubbas.
Thought I'd update now instead of next week because I have dance performances every night so here ya go. Btw some back story next chapter!
Please please please let me know if you enjoyed and do what ever the hell u want  <3

Izzy
Xxxxxxxxxxxx