01. knockin' on heaven's door

Today

New Orleans, Louisiana

"I'm telling you, Maddie, she's legit. I wouldn't drag you across the Atlantic ocean for some pathetic con artist" Emma insisted, as we walked through the streets of the great city of New Orleans. We had landed roughly 3 hours ago, after a 12 hour flight all the way from London. Though, I insisted for us to go back to the hotel to take a nap, Emma couldn't wait a single second more to meet up with some weird-ass 'fortune teller'.

"About that, remind me why am I here again?" I ask as if I already don't know the answer.

"Because I'm your best friend in the whole wide world" she said with the biggest smile and I just laugh at the statement, rolling my eyes at her "and because we needed a break from the most boring city ever, don't get me wrong, London can be pretty amazing but all that rain seriously makes me want to drown myself in it"

"And that's why we decide to chase a 'fortune teller' in New Orleans as a fun vacation, well now I can at least check that off my bucket list" I say as my eyes travel from one store to another, after a moment I realize I'm not looking at the stores but rather at the people hanging out around inside or outside them, as well as everyone who walks past us.

"Well, you're welcome" she said teasing me back "It's just one of the many milestones on this trip,  after this we can go wherever you want but for now I have- we have - to do this" I notice her sudden voice shift at the last few words and my eyes focus on her instead.

"Why 'we'? Last I checked you were the only one that had to see her-" I asked confused at her change of words but she interrupts me before I can finish.

"I meant that maybe you can... take this opportunity to ask a little about your future, and I know you don't like talking about any supernatural related stuff but it's just for fun"

"My future? I know my future. I will have a happy normal life and grow old with whoever I fall in love with. And it's not that I don't like talking about supernatural things, I'm just... over that kind of stuff" I said and the urge of changing the conversation rises in me.

"Freaky. You know for someone who accuses me of being a control freak, that sounds weirdly controlling. And over that kind of stuff? More like avoiding that kind of stuff. Remember when we were so sick with the flu and decided to watch those awful movies with the vampires and the werewolves?" began Emma, as if the conversation had suddenly turned into an interrogation "You got so weird about the whole thing, that you couldn't even make it through the first one. And don't blame the whole bottle of NyQuil you took because I had the same amount and I was pretty fine myself"

"Because the movie... was bad" I retorted at her accusation but she really had a point, the thing is, I couldn't really explain it myself. Every time I thought about vampires, werewolves or anything like it, I would suddenly get a weird feeling... like a warning that prohibited me to speak or even think about anything that wasn't as ordinary as a human being.

"What about the vampires and werewolves? Was it because they were bad too?" she asks again stopping to stand right in front of me, as if she was confronting me and to be honest it felt like she was.

"Em, I'm tired. I barely slept on the plane, my feet are killing me, I'm also starving and all I want to do is take a nap. Yet here I am as a good friend looking for a con artist" I excused myself, giving her a fake smile as I continued walking.

"Avoiding" she chanted in victory and continued walking with me. I ignored her as I knew she would at least stop pushing the subject, after all she had proven her point. I was avoiding the supernatural but only because everything around it seemed so foggy, literally, not only because of the feeling I would get but also because my mind would get all fuzzy around anything that had to do with that word. Like when you hear a song on the radio and you know it, so your brain tries to recall the lyrics to it and the title but only in this case, as hard as my brain tried to recall whatever memory or knowledge it had about any supernatural related thing... it just failed. Leaving me feeling pretty useless and confused, but what it was more annoying, it's that the supernatural wasn't the only thing my brain would get all messy about. And I hated it.