11. through your eyes

"Wait, how does this work again?" I asked, pacing around the room beginning to feel a little nervous.

"I'll show you the memories and see if it triggers anything" Kai explained while he kept preparing something in a bowl.

"I meant how are you gonna show me the memories" but he didn't answer this time "Kai?" I called his name and he hummed in response a few minutes later, so I stopped pacing around to stand in front of him "Kai" I called his name again but he seemed way too focused on finishing whatever he was doing to even notice my presence.

"He wants to get it right, this is important for him" Sage piped up from the entrance of the living room as she walked towards us "and what he'll do is show you his memories by doing a spell that will let part of your subconscious inside them"

"Because I value our friendship, Sage keeps getting the wrong idea" Kai blurted out finally looking up at me "Drink up" he added, offering me the small bowl with a strange black liquid in it.

I grabbed the bowl a bit hesitant, "Any side effects warnings before I do?" I asked and he chuckled lightly.

"Don't worry you won't be doing any digging today" he said and I brought the bowl up to my mouth taking a sip, immediately regretting doing it so slow as I tasted the bitter and earthy taste of whatever Kai had added in it, so I drank the rest quickly.

"Disgusting, what was that?" I said placing the bowl on the table again.

"Mostly herbs, some blood and a bit of other things you don't want to know about, just think of it as one of those weird healthy smoothies you millennials seem to be so keen of for some strange reason" Kai answered and I chuckled.

"Okay, so what goes after drinking a kale smoothie?" I asked and he walked towards the middle of the room, dragging a chair and sitting in it afterwards.

"The fun part," he said extending his hand out to me and I walked towards him, standing in front of him "I'll let Sage explain while I get ready" he continued, grabbing both of my hands and placing them over his cheeks.

"You need to open your mind to him, let him guide you and once you're inside the memory you must remember to stay in the light" Sage said walking towards us "the memories will look shimmery, they'll have a certain glow in it but there will be some darker parts or they'll begin to darken so you have to stay in the light"

"Why?" I asked a little confused and Sage was about to answer but Kai interrupted her.

"Basically what I'll do is try to join my memories with your now stored away ones that we don't have access to," he began but I frowned a little confused and he placed his hands on my waist pulling me closer to him "it's like you'll be putting a puzzle together, I'll give you the instructions on how to do it but the only difference is that there's a force in your head giving you the wrong ones, those are the dark spots you'll see, it's the compulsion trying to fill in those gaps for you"

"Right..." I said feeling a little bit more confused than before and Kai chuckled "Will it work? It does sound a bit..."

"Impossible?" he finished, looking a little hurt by my lack of faith.

"Not impossible, complicated, I mean how do you put a puzzle together with half of the pieces missing?" I said and he frowned, tensing up under my grip.

"Well if you don't want to try you should've just said it" he said harshly and he removed my hands from his cheeks.

"No, Kai, that's not what I meant. Look I'm sorry, I'm just trying to wrap my head around all of this, okay?" I apologized, bringing my hands up to his cheeks again and I brushed my thumbs over his skin "But I do want to try, I want to put puzzles together, dig under the floor, drink awful mysterious smoothies or do whatever we have to do to get my memories back. You're my friend and I trust you, besides, what kind of a friend would I be if I didn't do this for you? After everything you've done for me, you're literally protecting me from the devil"