08. angelus

She was wearing a nice colourful dress with many beads and ruffles on it, her hair still tangly but it was now nicely held back with a bandeau. Kai quickly separated himself from me and speed-vamp to help her with the bouquet "Humans always understand if you come to them with the truth, and I see she's taking it really–" but she stops talking as Kai says something to her and he turns around with the flowers on his arms.

"Sage here got a little confused and misread the situation," said Kai placing the bouquet over the table.

"Excuse you? I didn't misread anything son, I used to do that for a living, remember? What he meant to say, honey, is that he's annoyingly stalling" Sage said talking back to Kai and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"Ouch and I even helped you carry this thing," said Kai pretending to be hurt and Sage just scoffed.

"The name's Sage, I know you're Maddie but it's nice to meet you" Sage said extending her hand out to me and I stood up to shake it "Sorry about the slap but I was not about to let a poor innocent girl die at the hands of some ugly and disrespectful spirit" she said and I smiled at her, she genuinely seemed nice and lovely, way much better as a company than Katherine.

"Nice to meet you too and no need to apologize, thank you for saving me of whatever that was and sorry about your floor" I told her giving her a smile full of gratitude.

"Um, hello? I also helped and all you did was yell at me" Kai said picking at some of the flowers.

"Said the person who knocked her out cold to bring her here" said Sage to Kai and then she smiled at me before continuing "Anytime, doll, and don't worry about that old thing, already fixed"

"Yes by me, you're welcome" said Kai as he took out a flower from the bouquet and walked towards me.

"Thank you, Kai" I said almost sarcastically but part of me did mean it.

"Anytime, princess" he said as he extended out his hand holding the flower he had just picked out of the bouquet to me and I raised my hand to grab it but he took it back, taking a few steps more cutting the distance between us before speaking again "this, is a hybrid Louisiana iris, they come in many colours but white happens to be my favourite... on you" he added cutting out the stem and placing the flower carefully behind my ear. I feel my heart race faster as his hand caresses my cheek afterwards, my eyes fixed on his mesmerizing blue eyes just as they become burdened with the same darkness I couldn't figure out yet.

"If you're gonna sweet-talk her using an iris, at least take her to the festival" Sage scoffed bringing us back to reality and I just stepped back a little, putting some distance between Kai and I, truth is I didn't really trust myself around him anymore. There was something about him and feeling him so close... it just clouded my judgement, it was ridiculous. How I've barely even knew him, yet, he had so much power over me.

"Uh-... w-what festival?" I asked clearing my throat, focusing all my attention in Sage, who seemed to be busy trying to find something in the kitchen cupboards.

"The late-august harvest festival, it's not really a harvest festival, they just commemorate the late hybrid irises blooming. I think it's just another excuse for a loud party but this one's always my favourite" she explained as she took some garden scissors out of the cupboard and began trimming some of the herbs "all of the streets, houses, cars, buildings, everything's adorned with flowers all the way down to the french quarter, it's magical and romantic" she said lifting her eyebrows, looking at us and I unintentionally bit my lip trying to suppress a smile.

"We have flowers right here," said Kai and I frowned at him because it wasn't the reaction I expected from him at all "no need to go outside and risk being seen" he concluded avoiding my stare.