02. tangled up in blue

"I see time has treated you well, you barely look any different than when I last saw you. If I didn't know any better I'd say you are a vampire but obviously I do know better, so I guess I should say... magic has treated you well?" she says walking towards me, I know it's Elena but there's something off about her. The way she talked, walked and even the way she looked at me... almost as if she hated me? But why wouldn't she? I've never thought about her, not since I left Myst- home, not since I left home. What kind of sister would do something like that? "But you're definitely more rude than I remember, not even a hello? or how about a 'how are you here?', 'how are you alive?'Nothing? A single syllable, perhaps?"

She was right, why wasn't I saying anything? It's like I was frozen and all I could do was stare at her. "Elena?" I said barely raising my voice, that I almost doubted she heard me.

"Ouch. Do I really look that bad? Here I thought I was killing it," she said and by the time she stops talking she's right in front of me "Guess again" she demanded and I looked at her confused.

"Guess again, what?" I asked and she stares at me in amusement like if I was the strangest human being she had ever seen.

"Amazing and sad," she says still staring at me as a smirk begins forming on her face"We're going to have so much fun, you might actually become tolerable or is it going to be annoying now that you're well... in this state?"

"Wait... how are you here? I thought you were back at Myst- home. I thought you were back at home" I said feeling more confused myself.

"'Myst'? You mean Mystic Falls? Why am I not back at Mystic Falls?" she asked making emphasis on the word 'Mystic Falls'... Mystic Falls. And then it hits me again, how have I not thought of Mystic Falls in what feels like forever, how I always cut myself off when I try to say those two words but why? Why would I do something like that? Why would I forget about Elena and Mystic Falls? My own sister and my hometown. "Ringing any bells?" she asked almost as if she was making fun of me, but she was my sister so that was just ridiculous. Elena wasn't like that.

"Yeah... Myst-Mystic Falls" I said and it almost hurts to say it. Never think twice about it. Leave it behind. And for the first time I realize it's not a feeling... it's a voice.

"Look at you. Saying witch and Mystic Falls in the same day. Feeling a little wild today, aren't we?" she said as she walked towards the bar grabbing one of the bottles on the wall stand. "I'm here because I missed my little sister, who I just love to death"

It wasn't genuine at all, I think a complete stranger could've told me he missed me and I would've thought that he actually meant it compared to the way she said it "I-I've missed you too. But you can't be here... can you?" I mumbled quietly because it's actually like I'm asking myself whether she can be here with me at this very moment or not... like if there's something that wouldn't allow her to do so. I look back up at her watching her take a large sip straight from the liquor bottle she had been playing around with.

"If we're going to do this, I'm not going to do it sober" she said walking towards my old table sitting where Emma had been just a few moments ago "So little sister, have a nice meal with me. We have so much catching up to do."

Part of me wants to leave, the same part that has been quiet for so long that it almost feels strange to feel it again. Leave. She's not Elena. Run. It's my inner voice this time but it's quickly shut down, so I just walk towards the table and sit where I was sitting a few moments ago. Why would I run? She was my sister, she wouldn't hurt me and who else would she be? The whole thought sounds stupid, that I begin to understand why that part has been dead ever since I left.