14. before sunset

"You're an asshole" she nagged at him, clearly upset by whatever comment he had just made.

"uh-uh-uh, language, babygirl" he warned her mockingly with a playful grin on his lips.

"And stop calling me that!" she warned him this time, seemingly annoyed by the nickname.

"Why? I thought you were into the whole daddy kink" young-Kai said playfully, gaining a scoff from her.

"Well I'm not!"

"Is it because your dad's dead?" he asked innocently and I thought she'd tense up at what sounded like a very insensitive comment but she seemed indifferent by it.

"Said the one with father issues" my young-self retorted and he clenched his jaw.

"Watch it" he warned her, as they kept walking "and there's a difference, your father died and I plan to kill mine as soon as I become the leader of my coven"

"Good for you" she jeered, quickening her pace.

"What's gotten into you today?"

"Hmmm, I wonder, maybe it's the fact that you're forcing me to hang out with you and that I don't enjoy your company at all" she answered annoyed.

"One can only wonder so much" Kai said mockingly but she remained quiet. Both stayed silent, the sound of some branches crunching as they kept walking filling out the silence between them, until he hummed thoughtfully, chuckling afterwards.

"What?" she inquired failing to hide how curious she was about what had made him laugh.

"'What' what?" he answered innocently and she just rolled her eyes.

"Whatever"

"I have to ask, you seemed quite unfamiliar with the whole daddy kink the first time I brought it up, why?" Kai asked, his question throwing her off guard and she lowered her pace.

"I don't know what you're talking about" she replied shyly avoiding his stare, which only made him chuckle.

"So it's true, no wonder why you're so uptight. Then again I'm not surprised, you have 'vanilla' written all over you" he concluded and she frowned, looking unsure of what he had just said.

"What are you talking about?" she asked puzzled.

"God, you're so predictable" he jeered, as he stopped walking, the playful smile vanishing from his lips. His mood completely changing out of the nowhere and she stopped walking too, the familiar hint of fear in her eyes making me realize it was the exact same look I'd probably had whenever this side of him resurfaced.

"'Madison', ugh, even your name is annoying. I didn't have to look at you twice the first time I saw you to know exactly what you were like. Golden girl, innocent eyes, angel face... so revolting. You think you're better than everyone, don't you?" he said harshly, the coldness in his eyes successfully intimidating my younger-self as she lowered her stare, avoiding to meet his eyes"That the world should bend its knees at the sound of your voice? 'Oh, poor Maddie, she lost her parents and has to deal with her sister's supernatural drama' but you love the attention that gets you, don't you?" he continued accusingly, walking towards her, cornering her against a tree "The innocent little Gilbert, too perfect and too good for this world. You want everyone to think you're so humble and kind, when all you want is for them to worship you at your feet. It's honestly boring and pathetic, your whole existence is pathetic, Madison"

For a moment I thought she wouldn't say anything to him but something shifted in her, as she looked up at him, only she didn't seemed hurt by his words but by something far more complex than that.