28. children of the damned

It's warm, too warm, or at least warm enough to wake me up as soon as I feel another drop of sweat making its way down my face. There was some kind of heat and humidity in the air, like a hot summer afternoon and it almost makes me wonder if I'd somehow teleported myself to some tropical beach because I knew Mystic Falls was not this hot in late Septem– but I don't finish that thought as soon as my brain recalled what'd happened last time I was conscious, and I opened my eyes quickly, groaning due to the sudden sharp pain coming from my neck.

"So much for comfort" I muttered under my breath but several warning signs popped up in my head as soon as my eyes landed on the the cloth pieces that were wrapped around my wrists, holding me tightly to a chair and I was about to move my legs when I felt the cloth around my ankles too, the sore-like feeling convincing me I'd probably been tied up like this for more than a couple of hours.

I tried to move my wrists and ankles as much as the straps would let me so I could loosen them enough to take them off but they were tighter than they looked. I was probably only bruising up my skin and slowing down my circulation.

I stopped moving, huffing with frustration and I was about to try again when I heard a light snicker coming from the balcony. For a second I didn't know if I wanted to find out what its source was but my eyes made the decision for me, and I have to stop myself from reacting to what I was seeing because I know if I do, he'll use it against me.

Yet I'm convinced it's nearly impossible not to as soon as I stared at him leaning on the balcony entrance, in his white unbuttoned shirt and rolled up sleeves, which only made his biceps look more toned. The thin layer of sweat on his skin giving him some kind of glow and I was pretty sure he had somehow enhanced his appearance because there was no way someone could look that perfect in this heat. I was also pretty sure this was the first time I'd seen him somewhat shirtless and my eyes quickly meet his before he realized I was staring.

The smug smile on his face, as he looked at me, reminding me this was not the time to think about him as anything but the bad guy in this situation and he tilted his head for a few seconds, his blue eyes piercing through mine as if he was trying to figure out what I was thinking, that's when I noticed the drink in his hand.

"It's hot, isn't it?" he finally spoke and my eyes unintentionally flickered to his naked torso but I meet his stare once again, hoping he didn't notice "you're more than welcome to take a picture, it'll last longer" he said giving me a lascivious wink and I rolled my eyes, ignoring the tingling sensation in my stomach "there's no AC, which sucks, my yelp review it's not looking great, I mean we're talking about zero stars" he chattered but I was more focused on figuring out what he was drinking, though part of me felt like I already knew but I didn't want to admit it because I knew I wouldn't like the answer.

"Feel like having a little chat?" he asked, walking towards me and I tried to remain indifferent "I bet you must be thirsty, it's hot as hell, here" he said raising the glass up to my mouth, the crimson liquid confirming what I was dreading and I moved my head away, an overwhelming wave of fear invading my thoughts and spreading throughout my entire body once my eyes registered the body that was laying a few meters away from us.

It was a woman, from what I could gather, her black hair covering part of her face and she was wearing some kind of uniform, she had to be part of the hotel's staff. Now I knew where the blood had come from and I found myself wishing it was me laying on that floor instead of an innocent person who wouldn't have been dragged into this mess if I'd been more careful. It was my fault but maybe it wasn't too late, I could convince Kai to let her go safe and sound but my heart drops to the bottom of my stomach once I notice how pale her skin was... too pale to even hope she's still alive and I immediately feel sick "you're a monster" I clipped with hate and he nodded, taking a sip.