06. reversal of fortune

"Who put the spell on her?" Kai asks so quickly that I almost miss his question.

"Lily and her heretics" I answer immediately, it takes me literally no time because it's like those memories are easier to remember, they seem more real... like they're mine "They-"

"What happened to Jo, Liv and everyone who died at that wedding? Who let the heretics out?" Kai questions me again, interrupting me.

"There was a explosion, mid ceremony, a lot of people died. It was a distraction, so Lily could free them from the 1903 prison world" I reply, confident about what I was saying but I can see it's not the answer Kai was expecting to hear and his eyes begin to darken as he grows angrier.

"Who was the gemini coven leader at that time?" he asks and there's a hint of desperation in his voice.

"Joshua Parker, he-" he doesn't let me finish as he slams his fist on his table and I do flinch this time.

"... what do you think of Joshua Parker?" he asks through gritted teeth and I'm afraid to answer but I do it anyway.

"I didn't know him that well, I-" I muttered and Kai interrupts me, slamming his fist on the table again.

"Just tell me what was your impression of him" he demands angrily and I look at Katherine for help but I'm surprised when I notice she was already looking at me, concerned. And I know something's terribly wrong, as she stands up and walks towards our table.

"I-I-"I stutter because I don't want to answer but I know that if I don't Kai was probably going to hurt me "He-he... the gemini coven and him... uh- they saved the twins... they saved the twins and they locked Lily up, they were good people-

But I don't receive any of his fury, he just looks at me emptily and disappointed as he says the words "Phesmatos Somnus" and everything turns dark.

⚜️

The strong woody smell of what appears to be cedar and olive oil burning wake me up, and my body begins to ache uncomfortably as I become conscious that I'm laying on the cold hard floor but I quickly realize we're not in the diner anymore, as I feel the sharp texture of the wooded floor with my fingertips. I began to open my eyes and I soon notice the rusty wood ceiling above me as well as how dark whatever place I was in seemed, there was no visible light coming from any electric source but from a more natural one. I scanned the room slowly and my eyes suddenly land on the many candles placed all over, as well as all other strange artifacts in it. 

I sit up slowly and realize where I was just laying down, I was in the middle of a circle, made up by candles and incense burning, there are also some peculiar flower petals and little branches in the mix, and some objects that are far too burnt to recognize. I caught the smell of moisture and damp wood, almost swampy, and as soon as I look up I see Kai sitting on the floor not far from where I was laying. His eyes fixed on me and for a second guilt flashes through his eyes but he shuts them closed. Rage begins to take over my thoughts and I look at him in disbelief as I grasp what possibly had happened.

"What the hell is wrong with you? You can't just knock people out!" I hissed at him furious, but he doesn't moves or says anything. I notice his hands are extended over his lap, he's sweating and his breathing is uneven.

"Revelare animo, interficiam incantatores, sana coniunctum sanguis animarum. Revelare animo, interficiam incantatores, sana coniunctum sanguis animarum" he chants, but it's not just his voice, it's two. I quickly turn around and see there's a lady, sitting just like Kai but she looks a lot more wore out than he does. She's probably in her mid fifties, her rebellious tangly hair was all over her face and she was wearing a rather odd tunic that seemed to be made from many different colourful fabrics. There were different handmade necklaces placed around her neck, and she was wearing a lot of shinny bracelets on her wrists.