07. tempting fate

The next time I wake up, I'm laying over a couch and my body feels a lot more comfortable than it did last time. I sit up straight rubbing my eyes softly with my hands, feeling still a bit sleepy from my involuntary nap. Once my eyes are open and well adjusted to the poor lighting in the room I begin to look around, noticing we're still in the same rusty place I was just in. Where was I just in? I frown as flashes of the strange events that could've easily passed as one of my odd nightmares, begin to come back to me.

They did a spell on me! As soon as the memories of Kai's and the lady's little magic trick appear more real in my head and less nightmare-like, anger begins to grow inside me once I realized what they did to me. They did a spell on me to hurt me. I almost killed myself because of them! I quickly look up to my wrists and arms, expecting to find some horrifying wounds but there's not even a single scratch or any sort of scars or bruises on my skin. There's just a mixture of mud and blood on my sleeves that are nicely rolled up all up to my elbows but other than that, there's no evidence of me ever being hurt by whatever magic they did on me. Kai healed me... probably fed my some of his vampire blood when i was out or magically healed me. Just as I'm studying my arms, I see a blood spot on my jeans, right over a ripped cut, like if someone had stabbed me on my leg but just as my arms, there's no visible wound or anything at all but I didn't hurt my leg searching for the necklace, so it didn't make any sense.

"I stabbed you. You were so deep under the spell that I couldn't wake you, Sage told me real pain was the only thing that could bring you back before whatever force is under the compulsion spell could grab a complete hold of you" I hear Kai's voice coming from behind where I was sitting, as well as his steps as he walks towards me, so I don't mind looking back at him and wait until he's finally facing me. As soon as my eyes meet his, he gives me a half-smile sitting over the coffee table that was placed in front of me. He extends his hand and it's only now that I notice he was holding a glass of water, now offering to me but I don't take it.

"Let me guess, water mixed with a sleeping sedative? Getting me ready for round two?" I say coldly and he frowns at me, his eyes now burdened with guilt and sadness, and whatever rage was in me begins to vanish and I suddenly feel the need to apologize for being rude to him but I don't. For once in my life, I was going to ignore the stupid Gilbert need to be nice and react accordingly to the situation. He was dangerous, despite his angelic looks, he was someone I needed to be scared of.

"If I'd known... the spell Sage and I did would hurt you, I wouldn't've-" he says softly and I can tell the concern in his voice is genuine but I cut him off.

"But it did hurt me. I'm no witch but I'm guessing whatever that was, could've ended pretty badly for me and it's not just that, you knocked me out randomly at the diner, you kidnapped me, twice! You lied to me! And as if that wasn't enough fun for you, you bring me to your witch playdate and decide to practice on me!" I said trying to remain as calmed as I could because it was either the rage or whatever's left from the spell, but I was beginning to feel dizzy.

"I could've handled things better, I know. I will, from now on, I promise. I'm sorry... I really am, I never meant to hurt you. It's just–" he begins and I just shake my head, baffled at what I was just hearing.

"From now on? Are you insane? There's no 'from now on', Kai. We're through. I'm leaving and the only way you can stop me is if you kill me because there's no way in hell I'm staying to play nice little hostage with you" I said still baffled, who was this guy? Did he actually thought he could just say sorry and we would merrily continue doing whatever the hell this is. I quickly get up but I sit back again slowly, as soon as I feel my knees weaken and everything around me seems to be moving. Great, just when I have the guts to leave, my body doesn't cooperates.