04. your heart can

"Sorry to interrupt but unless you want both for her to eat and meet with Sage you're gonna have to continue that later" said Katherine annoyed through the window, interrupting whatever moment we were having.

But he notices it, how I'm caught up looking at his lips yet he doesn't moves or does anything to get me to act on whatever impulse is taking over me. Then I become conscious of what that impulse is... and I instantly feel mortified, not because I'm thinking about kissing a stranger but because I knew by the way he was staring at me that he also knew what I was about to do and yet he didn't respond to it. Which meant he didn't want to kiss me and was probably now thinking how I was the kind of girl who goes around kissing strangers. I closed my eyes shaking my head, cringing at the whole situation quickly getting inside the car.

Why was I about to kiss someone who I just met? That wasn't like me, at all. I would never do something like that or ever had any impulses like that about someone who I just met. Beyond feeling mortified... I was hurt because he could've done something and he didn't. Why would he, anyway? I was a stranger. We've just met. And I'm sure he's more sane than I am because at least he's not going around kissing strangers. It's only until now that he gets in the car and continues driving without saying a word. And neither do I, I'm too embarrassed to even look at him ever again so I just focus on the road instead. As he said, we were 20 minutes away from our next stop, so I use that spare time to formulate as much questions as I can about every single thing that's been left unanswered.

But all I could think about was Emma, was she really on her way to Florida? No, Emma wouldn't just abandon me with some strangers... although she did know about Elena, still she wouldn't leave just like that. Without at least saying goodbye or sending a 'leaving your unconscious body with some weirdos, kisses from Florida' text. My phone! I frantically search my back pockets, as well as all the possible pockets I have in everything I'm wearing, finding nothing but a piece of gum. So they took my phone... and my bag, I begin looking in the backseat if by some miracle it had slipped there but besides what looks like Kai's coat, the seat was empty. I hear a chuckle coming from Kai, and I just roll my eyes defeatedly sitting straight once again. The sight of me hopelessly looking for my phone was probably very entertaining for someone who most likely had it in his pocket.

After what it feels like a full hour we finally stop at a dinner. It was a food stop. The place looked a lot nicer than any other place you would find in the middle of the nowhere and the parking lot was not as full, so it was nice to know the place wouldn't be crowded. Once we're parked, we all get out of the car and walk straight to the dinner in silence. Inside, it's no different from any other dinner but it's nice, almost home-y. Kai and Katherine both walk in front of me, so I just follow them to a booth in the back and quickly realize I'd have to pick who I feel least uncomfortable with to sit next to, if they don't sit in the same seat. Which they don't. Thanks to Katherine. I know she does it on purpose because she gives me a devilish smirk knowing what I'd have to do.

I roll my eyes at her and as I am about to move towards her side of the booth she moves to middle of the seat so that I can't sit next to her "Seriously?!" I spat at her annoyed and she just chuckles.

"Katherine," he begins but he's interrupted as a waitress stops at our table with three menus and a pot of coffee in her hands, then she looks at me as if she's waiting for me to sit quickly so she can move on to attend the next table. So I defeatedly sit next to Kai.

"Welcome to Coop's Dinner, 'm Summer and here are your menus. Call me when you're ready to order" she said placing a menu in front each one of us and I notice how she just stares at Kai while she speaks, completely ignoring Katherine and I.

"Well at least you'll get a good service," Katherine scoffs after she leaves and I just focus on the menu, as I feel the conversation is about to turn uncomfortable "How does this always happens? But hey, she's cuter than that last one from the bar or the blonde from the hotel or did you go for the brunette? I honestly can't remember"