32. undisclosed desires

*tw: there's a few scenes with what would be considered 'explicit content' throughout the chapter*

I followed Kai inside his apartment, which was surprisingly close to the heart of the town, if anything I was expecting a secluded location with thousands of cloaking spells and gates, not a loft in one of the most famous buildings in town "You have a loft?" I asked, a little too shocked.

"You don't?" he asks jokingly and I rolled my eyes.

"How can you even afford this? I mean I think your parents were rich but I don't think your dad would've given you the family's money, no offense"

Kai chuckled, taking his jacket off and I did the same "None taken and he didn't have a say in it, the coven's and my family's wealth goes to the leader" he said, placing his jacket on the coat hanger and he took mine.

"Right" I nodded, watching him hang my coat "then why do you use 'Jake Weaver's' card? or whoever that is?"

"Well according to public records Malachai Parker died at forty two in a tragic fire, I couldn't exactly show up at the bank alive and in my early twenties" he answered, turning to me "I mean I could've compelled the guy at the bank but I didn't really see the point when I knew I'd emptied the account and placed the funds in 'Jake Weaver's' account, a few days before Damon chopped my head off"

"You emptied your account? why?" I frowned and he chuckled.

"Any reason why you're asking so many questions? Should I be concerned?" he asks and I shake my head.

"No, sorry, just curiosity" I replied, blushing for god knows what reason "I know the real me might already know all those answers and this must be really annoying for you... I was just trying to get to know you more, I guess"

"Does that mean you finally made up your mind?" he questions, fixing his eyes on mine.

"About what?" I asked, not really sure of what he meant.

"If I'm someone worth getting to know" and his answer takes me back for a few seconds, it just wasn't what I was expecting to hear at all "I mean after the hell I've put you through, I doubt this version of you actually wants to know me"

I had a plan. It was a good plan but it wasn't smart, at least not yet but I knew it could be, if I figured out a way to know what the 'right' moves were before making them "getting to know you or this version of you?" I ask, jokingly raising an eyebrow at him and he suppresses a smirk.

"What if I told you–?" but he's interrupted by my phone ringing nonstop and I took it out of my back pocket.

Seeing Elena's name on my phone screen, making me assuming the worst "Elena, did something happen with the twins?"

"No, no, they're okay but something did happen" she answered, her cheerful voice making all the worry and bad thoughts fade away "Enzo's back! He's with Bonnie, you should come home, everyone's here" she gushed and I hesitated, making eye contact with Kai, who was just standing a few feet away from me, watching me with curious eyes "or meet us at Damon's, we're going there to celebrate"

"At Damon's–?"

"Alaric and Care, are still at the house, it's why we're going to the bar, we don't want to wake the twins but you should be here with us, trust me you need this" Elena interjected and Kai lowered his gaze, as if he knew I was considering my sister's offer and would never choose to stay with him, his reaction almost making me believe he was actually disappointed.

But it's just for a fraction of a second and when his eyes meet mine again, there's no signs of disappointment or any emotion for what was worth "I can't, something came up" and my answer takes him by surprise.