35. love ties

tw: this chapter contains explicit content

The next five seconds happen in what feels like a fraction of one. Kai was the first to make a move by standing head-high between them and me, giving me enough space to get up and potentially run if I had to. The menacing look that now resided in Kai's eyes convincing me he was absolutely ready to kill his way out of this but I knew it wouldn't be that easy, it never was and the last thing I wanted was for him to risk his life yet again and end up getting hurt all because of my impulsive and thoughtless decisions.

"I have an idea, why don't you turn yourself in, make your girlfriend reappear again and we'll give you both a ride back to that freaky town of yours" the blonde man spoke again and though his comrades were the mean 'kick-you-behind-an-ally' kind of type, he looked nothing like them. For one, he was remarkably younger than most of them, probably only about a few years older than Kai but what stood out the most about him, was the fact that he was wearing a black suit, certainly not the type you would do your dirty deeds in. If I didn't know any better I'd say Elijah himself had given him one of his fancy suits and sent him after us but considering he was no longer in the 'terrorizing-Gilberts' business, that wasn't a real possibility, though part of me did wish we were currently being haunted by an ancient vampire family and not an evil ancient coven.

"Or I can rip all of your heads off and ship whatever's left after I'm done with you to the idiot that sent you" Kai said simply but it only made some of them snicker, almost as if they were sure Kai's threats wouldn't see the light of day and the thought worries me, we needed to find a way out before it was too late.

I got up from my seat and I stood behind Kai, while my eyes focused on trying to find another exit but they were blocking all the doors, all we really had were the windows and that didn't really seem like much. The sight of a now empty diner, making me realize all the customers and staff were all gone, it was really just us and them "Eight against one? Even for a heretic, those are pretty tight odds, not to mention we're all highly trained witches known for putting Geminis where they belong" the warlock noted with pride, gaining several nods and smugs from the rest of his team "and do you know where that is?" he asked but he didn't really give Kai time to answer "at the bottom of the food chain because that's where all Gemini belong" and I almost miss the vague ring coming from the kitchen, probably from a forgotten order in the oven.

"Kai, the kitchen" I whispered under my breath, even if I knew they couldn't hear me, it just felt like I had to be quiet, maybe it was the fear, and he lets out a short laugh, taking a few steps forward as he did, which made some of them spread out a little further, giving me enough space to walk past them without being noticed and I gave Kai a quick nod before I started making my way towards the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, was that supposed to scare me? I still get my emotions mixed up" he said with mockery and even though his voice seemed a lot calmer now than it was a few seconds ago, the familiar darkness that usually just lured behind his charming looks had completely taken over by now and I give him one last look before entering the kitchen, ignoring the almost too consuming void of fear and worry that was eating me inside out. It was going to be okay, everything was going to be okay. I repeated those words in my head over and over again as I entered the kitchen, hoping if I said it long enough I would actually start believing it and I make a mental note to leave a tip to whoever had left the door open.

If there was anything I'd learned from Jeremy working at the grill and the many different restaurants and diners I'd been to, was that restaurant kitchens always had a back door and right now, that seemed like our safest bet "Listen Chad, can I call you Chad? You kinda have that 'dumb-blonde frat boy' look going on" I heard Kai's voice again and I focused on it, as I stared at the four brick walls with no exit-doors or whatsoever, the dooming realization that we were really trapped inside here caving in around me "I get that you all Lynx-freaks get super jazzed when you're graced by the presence of a Gemini but like you said, you're all just a bunch of puny witches, while I'm this super powerful heretic who would really love to put you in your place"