05. when the devil cares

I open my eyes slowly and frown at him, 'because even if your brain can't remember... your heart can' I had no idea what he meant by that but I decide to ignore it, because doing the opposite feels like too much. Things were already complicated as they were and I needed answers. So I pull back and stare at our hands instead. He doesn't moves and I feel his stare but I don't look back at him so he leans back letting out a sigh.

"Too much?" he asks as he moves his hand off top of mine, placing it upwards on the table and he waits for me to respond to this gesture. 

I stop staring at our now separated hands and meet his stare before answering "A little" I respond quietly but before he can remove his hand from the table, I place my hand against his, intertwining our fingers as we lay our hands on the table again "How about you give me some answers first"

"Ooookay, to answer the most important question you might have in your head right now and which you might not dare to ask, yes I am single" he teases giving me a smirk and I just let out a chuckle, shaking my head.

"How considerate of you, that one was driving me nuts" I say with sarcasm "didn't know how to bring that up"

"Just good old me, helping our ship out" he says humbly and I stare back at him in confusion.

"Our ship? What do you mean?" I ask and he looks at me shocked as if it was a sin for me to not know what the word meant in whatever context he was using it.

"This is why you should use your twitter more often," he said taking out his phone with his free hand and I guessed he was going opening the twitter app "if I'm correct, a ship is when you want two people to be together, so you, uh, ship them and even come up with names for them. People use it all the time in here, like for celebrities and stuff, but I sort of use it in real life. For example, your sister and Damon would be... delena? And when she was Stefan...?"

"Stelena?" I answer and I laugh at how crazy that sounds "So I see Katherine has put you up to speed with everything" 

"Sort of. Poor Katerina, how sad is it that nor kamon or stef-stefa-steferina, whatever their ship name was, became true?" he asks shaking his head as if it was truly the most tragic thing he's heard "I mean I don't blame her, yeah she's a little... well she's Katherine, but I blame Stephan and Damian, they truly didn't get the whole 'loving the villain for a change' trend. Shame."

I can't help but laugh when he gets their names wrong because it sounds way more hilarious to say it that way than their original names. "I know she loved Stefan but she was really mean to Damon, besides you could say he's half a villain half a good guy so I don't think that ship would've worked"

Kai smiles when he hears me use the word 'ship' before continuing our interesting but strange conversation"True, villains as a couple are quite boring actually or when they good guy and the good girl get together and live happily ever after. Ugh, annoying"

I was about to respond but we're interrupted by Summer, whose eyes first land at our intertwined hands on the table and then she looks at Kai, whose eyes are locked on mine even if I'm not looking at him anymore. She seems annoyed by this so she looks at me and gives me a fake smile.

"Number 2 with a beer" she says as she tries to place the plate in front of Kai but seeing that he doesn't moves his arm she just places it in front of it instead. "And another number two, with a milkshake and a water"  I try to move my hand so she's able to place everything in front of me but Kai doesn't let go so she's forced to do the same thing as before and leaves without saying anything else. 

I stare back at Kai giving him a disapproved look and he gives me an innocent look in exchange "That was rude" I say grabbing one of the fries on my plate.