17. sweet serial killer

{tw; death and violence mention}

"I'm so glad to see you again, Maddie" Bonnie beamed cheerfully as she squeezed me into a hug and just as I was about to fully embrace her with both arms to return the gesture, she pulled back from the hug and her smile began to drop "i'm so sorry, I really thought you were dead and I would've come after you if i'd known you were still alive–"

"Bonnie, it's okay, you didn't know, it's not your fault" I interrupted her, the last thing I wanted was for her to feel guilty about something that had actually turned out... good, but of course she couldn't know that, she was probably the last person I wanted talk about Kai with "what matters now is that you're back home, safe and sound, we should–"

"I let that monster take you and you probably had it worst than I did, just know that i'm here for you if you ever want to talk about what happened," Bonnie said, giving me a warm smile "I know it might not be something you can share with Elena or anybody else... they wouldn't understand, trust me, i'm struggling too but you can always talk to me... and Maddie," she paused and the softness in her eyes quickly turned into anger, "he will never hurt anybody again, I'll make sure of it"

"Uh... Bonnie, I think we should just focus on the fact that you're back and maybe we should... just put it all behind us" I suggested giving her a smile but she looked at me confused.

"'Put it all behind us'? I know all of you might be scared of him but I'm not" she affirmed, the anger in her eyes growing stronger "I couldn't even believe when Damon told me the bastard was still hanging around Mystic Falls like if he owned the place but I'll find a way to stop him"

"I'm not scared of him, I just think we should leave it all behind to find some peace, I have and I know you–"

"peace? how can we have any peace when he's still here? i'll find peace once he's buried six feet underground" she said in a vengeful tone and my smile immediately dropped "I saw you fighting with him today, I know you hate him as much as I do but we can stop him, help me stop him Maddie"

'Buried six feet underground' her words echoed in my head and my heart almost stopped for a second, the thought of her hurting Kai making me panic immediately "No, Bonnie,–!"

"Maddie, don't be scared, we'll get him. Damon said Kai has been lying to everyone telling them he's changed but we both know it's just a trap" she cut me off, with the same amount of determination as before.

"No, I'm not scared of him Bonnie and I don't think that's what Damon meant or that Kai's lying, just let me explain" I said warily, trying to hide the concern in my voice and she looked at me in disbelief.

"Juliet, are you kidding me?!" the sudden use of my second name to address me throws me off guard for a second, effectively causing me to finally show the concern I've been feeling the minute she threatened Kai. For some reason they always made that switch whenever it was something dead serious and I knew it was because Elena did it all the time "After all he did, you think he's suddenly become a better person? He's a sociopath! A cold-blooded killer! This is not the time for you to be stupid enough to believe bad guys are good guys in disguise, he's not!" she snapped at me furiously and I looked at her hurt, she was acting like a complete different person.

"This is not what this is Bonnie, a lot has happened since we last saw you and Kai... he's different, the merge–"

"Oh my god, are you defending him?!" she said almost repulsed and took a few steps back.

"Bonnie, it's not that, you've been through a lot and the last thing you need right now is to go on a vengeful mission against someone who isn't our enemy anymore, trust me it wouldn't help" I said reasonably but she shook her head in denial "I know Kai might be a lot of things but right now, he's the all powerful gemini leader and we could use someone like that as our ally, not our enemy... i'm just being smart about this"