The Scientist

We could never start this story from the beginning but we could list the facts, I, Stella was like any other normal person with its flaws and quirks

We could never start this story from the beginning but we could list the facts, I, Stella was like any other normal person with its flaws and quirks. Flaws: a true professional at keeping things to myself though I never quite went unnoticed as much I liked. I had a total maximum of one or two friends everywhere I had ever lived at because those who enthuse about science are few.

Main quirk? Owning too many coffee mugs, in all its different variations, it was my version of owning too many cats though cats always came off as secretive and too jumpy for me to endure. Another thing was my tendency to collect old things, things with a story, to decorate my small house. Yet it took me just about forever to decide on most things, I deliberated the smallest things, probably because of well again science.

The normal things were I graduated college, the piece of paper hung on the bedroom wall and worked as registered nurse at a hospital near Syracuse, in the great state of New York where I lived on my own, in peace. Yes the word peace may not be of great inspiration to most people who craved adventure but to me it was everything I wanted, to smile and to know the world was still.

But in this world we lived in peace was an illusion.

When you had it and had settled comfortably in it something came to take it away which is where "he" comes in to play.

Dr. Herzberg, the scientist, his specialization the brain, currently occupying the job of a neuroscientist.

In plain English; these doctors research the brain, nervous system, spinal cord, fanatic of neurotransmitters and its various functions and dysfunctions. I was put under his command, one out of the three nurses to work with him on his trial patients in the neuroscience wing of the hospital. Before this though he was a neurosurgeon, always going in and out of patient's brain what made him quit who knew? Though his work was impressive the scientist's work wasn't the only thing drawing me in; unfortunately he was the type of man no one could overlook even if they wished to.

The doctor used his tall silhouette and half serious, half sneaky facial expressions to send everyone running wherever he showed up. Unless he was trying to get something out of you, if he had a goal he'd twist and turn into whatever he needed to be to get it. He was a man greatly revered and admired by many from afar for his brilliance this scenario changed for those who knew him up close. In fact there was only one fellow doctor who was fond of him; Dr. Fitzgibbons.

Yet from the very first exchanged words to the months to come he treated me differently than the rest of the staff at the hospital. Dr. Herzberg liked to make me a part of his work and I enjoyed helping, learning, and he even helped me through the constant bullying of my peers. I knew it was impossible that he might harbor feelings towards me. But with every gesture his affections were there, floating in the surface around us, feelings which could never be held down by gravity only us.

My feet were deep in the ground of science and reality, I counted on this as the best maneuver to avoid everything else, to avoid the unknown.

As far as I knew everything was going according to plan and every piece could be explained apart from the scientist and I, this bond.

Then one day after my peace was the last thing to be found, things took a wrong turn when unexpectedly I found myself out of my depth with the scientist and he attacked me.

"What are you..." I asked as the scientist carried me in his arms.

I woke up tied down in the back of his black car being driven into the woods at night by him scared of what he wanted.

"What do you think you're doing?" I tried to break free of the rope he used to tie up my feet and hands. "Let me go!"

"You gave me no choice," he didn't look back at me and kept going further into the pitch black of the woods.

It frightened me to remember once upon a time he talked to me with care and kindness unlike the usual lack of attachment he had with others.

"Stop the car!" I yelled.

"Not until I do what needs to be done."

"You can't! You won't!"

"I'm sorry Stella," he said and I knew this wouldn't go well so I shut my eyes tight to not see it end; I couldn't face what would come next.

*************************************************
No part, character, names, plot, setting, conflict or resolution, point of view, theme or symbolism of this story may be replicated.

Copyright: All Rights Reserved to A. Sena Gomes.