Unbreak the Broken 13th

March 13th, 2015

March 13th, 2015

Bright and early on the windy winter morning I parked in the facility and for the first time Dr. Herzberg didn't arrive after me. The small jet was already there as soon as he heard my car he walked out of it and came down to greet me.

"Morning Stella," he smiled and tried to help me with my bag but I wasn't about to start letting him break rule #4.

"Oh thank you but I got it," he looked a little electric and I smiled sheepishly walking up the stairs in front of him.

"Nonsense," he swiped it from my hand, "the flight is pretty short and I booked us rooms at a bed and breakfast in Athens so we could chat up the locals for information. Fortunately they love to gossip in those small establishments."

"Yes they do."

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked when I agreed with everything.

"Just a little sleepy is all," he put my small suitcase near his and sat on the chair which faced me.

"Don't worry you have about three hours and thirty minutes to sleep." He said as if expecting me to instantly nap so he turned his head to look outside.

"Yeah I should sleep then." I said and closed my eyes hoping to fall asleep but with him in front of me it was impossible.

Every position looked silly or felt uncomfortable so I opened my eyes and with no interest got a magazine to read. He looked to be enjoying my constant nervousness and after half hour he fell asleep then I got comfortable enough to take a nap myself.

We rented a car and he drove us through Athens, Ohio which was nothing short of grey, foggy and so quiet you could hear the owl hooting. It was like my seat had spikes because I could not get comfortable looking outside with not a soul on most streets until we arrived to the Bed & Breakfast where an old couple ran the place.

"Yes here we go one room for Dr. Herzberg," the old lady with an uncomfortable wart in the middle of her forehead gave him the key which almost made me lose focus from what she said.

"Excuse me?" I asked looking at her ready to have a heart attack in the front desk.

"My apologies Mrs. Harvey but my secretary booked two rooms," he explained to her.

"No she did not; she reserved a room for a Dr. Herzberg."

"Okay then maybe she put it under my name, is there a room booked for a Stella Foster?"

"Uh let me check," she fixed her big glasses scrunched her nose inched her head forward and looked over the pages of a big book, apparently nothing here ran on the computer. "Stella, Stella..."

"Foster?" I asked so she wouldn't skip over the last name.

"Oh no my dear no Foster either," she looked up while I waited for her to come up with a solution.