Coffee Rules

2

2.03.15

The next morning we took the first step together into this coma trial, there were all kinds of stories of completely recuperated humans that were once vegetables. Not one trace of damage, like they had gone into a deep sleep like sleeping beauty to wake up one day like nothing had happened in them just the whole entire world around them.

"What do you need me to do?"

"We have a certain amount of time with these people to come up with the right stimulants to wake them up, we will be working on rats first because we don't want to risk damaging any functions on the patients."

"Seems like we have a lot of work ahead of ourselves."

"Yes, we do," he treated me dryly like so many times I had wished he would.

"Where do I start?"

"Here are the patient's files," he gave me a pile of manila folders about the people in coma and as a professional I was finally pleased with his attitude.

Becoming acquainted with people who weren't really with us was kind of odd but one world changing trial at a time got me up cutting through the stratus of white air. And I put my faith in a favorable outcome because Dr. Herzberg was spearheading this trial, wondering what exactly we could achieve. 

For the rest of the day we barely looked at each other's face keeping the distance, though for him it looked like a tense work day. Though strangely by the end of the day my back was all in knots probably from the night before replaying how he dismissed my career; just a nurse, humph.

"Before you go, peace offering," the scientist came in and placed a gift bag in front of me.

"Oh hi," I was caught off guard by his presence, "what is this?"

"Well although life is a box of chocolates, I'd thought you'd prefer this..." He said and I took out what was inside the bag, but it was another bag that read...

"Fazenda Santa Ines?"

"My favorite cup of coffee, thought a fellow addict would appreciate it."

"Ah so the verdict's been reached on that," I kept trying to think if it was okay to accept it.

"Well I thought of buying you a box of donuts to go along with it but didn't think that'd be very polite."

"Not polite but accurate, thank you."

"Well it comes with conditions you know, this isn't a selfless act."

"Of course anything that's too good to be true..."

"Exactly, so if you accept this, you must forgive me for yesterday, and for being the usual arrogant self-centered surgeon that I really am deep down beneath the ice."

"Ah well since it's such a lovely proposition..."

"Well I was never a good negotiator."

"I bet," he was probably unwilling to bend like any good self-assured Brit.