The Quota Filler

January 5th, 2015

January 5th, 2015

It was six in the morning my alarm beeped like a mother yelling for her teen to get up; I wasn't the multiple snoozer person, if I ignored the alarm there was no way I was getting out of bed. It was a very cold winter morning as I lazily made my way to the bathroom with my eyes mostly shut and smoothed my hair into a ponytail.

The small neat wallpapered kitchen overlooked the yard where I sat down to have a cup of coffee alone and saw the last thing I needed first thing in the morning.

"Really? Snow on my first day?"

Forced to wear the big fuzzy snow boots hidden in the back of the hallway closet I changed into a sweater remembering labs were uncommonly cold no matter what weather it was outside. Lastly I brushed my teeth, put a pair of white sneakers inside a bag and walked out into the winter wonderland only to realize I'd have to clean snow off my beat up 1988 red Ford Thunderbird before I had to make it to the hospital for work.

Science was never the most popular subject out there but it grounded my life and I enjoyed my dose of reality where I could get it. Science was the ever improving field and the fact I could have a small part in making the human experience better gave this existence some meaning. My chosen field of profession also kept me busy. The years of studying were never anywhere near the end and the latest discoveries kept the likes of us on our toes.

Of course this made it extremely hard to make too many friends because our day at work pretty much made everyone want to puke or depressed. Not really the kind of small talk people enjoy.

The arrival at the hospital was less than ideal because when I found a nice parking spot another car got in before I backed up.

"Jerk!" I said to myself watching the man in the black car hurry out in a long coat and messy hair like he hadn't even been aware of anything except himself.

The white floor, popcorn ceiling and sterilized hospital like smell made me feel at ease as I punched in for my first day at work; I couldn't help it, there was a slight smile on my face. They had a coffee room where I stopped some steps away from it preparing myself to not make a bad impression on my coworkers.

But the man who got my parking spot came out of the room with a coffee in his hand and almost turned over his entire cup on me.

"Uh... I am... So uh..." He said finally moving his eyes to mine shaking his head as if he'd seen something truly crazy and as a doctor that was a far fetched thing. We'd seen just about everything roll in through the doors of a hospital.

"Oh goodie, you again."

I was trying to rewind this moment to the point where I knew not to have this interaction because the guy who took my spot was Dr. Herzberg. The very talented and famous neurosurgeon, wait neuroscientist at the moment. So yes the one and only genius was a parking spot thief.