The Red Oaks Will Stand

March 20, 2015

March 20, 2015

At the window I saw five of them and none of them used guns. Hugh's axe burned through one of them like a volcano erupting from the inside out.

Ezra's sword shining with light cut one of their heads. 

It didn't take them more than a couple minutes to decimate the opposing side with their weapons. When the fight ended they smiled at each other and Hugh came back in the house and got the same black bag Ezra had stashed away.

"Alright all my weapons are here and yours?" Hugh asked zipping up his getaway bag.

"In the car we left it on the parking lot on the way up."

"Okay then we should get going before more of them team up back here." 

Hugh ordered and the three of us went down the mountain and got in the car as Ezra took off making noises with the tire on the road and heading quickly into Canada.

As the Canadian border came up ahead there was no traffic at all though we also noticed there were no officer's just bleeding bodies of officers on the ground.

"Ezra?" I asked trembling at the bloody sight of the border around the bodies.

"God damn them!" Hugh slapped the side of the car and Ezra tried to keep his cool.

"We have to get out, we need to help them!" I told Ezra.

"Stella only one of them still has a heartbeat and your sister is in danger, what do you want to do?"

"I... I... I can't choose." I began to cry overwhelmed.

"Okay then I'll choose." 

Ezra accelerated to 120 miles per hour and soon I knew we had arrived as the tears had dried on my face.

"It's that house over there with the red oaks around it." I pointed it out to Ezra and Hugh feeling like a failure. 

I couldn't save the one person still left with a heartbeat. What kind of being did that make me?

"Okay let's go get Sybil. You stay here, use this if you need to." Ezra gave me two golden little blades he took out from his bag.

"No let me go with you two."

"Stella it's dangerous do you see those cars, we have no idea how many of them are in there."

"Hugh?"

"We shouldn't leave her alone Ezra." Hugh agreed with me.

"But she can drive away if she has to."

"You're staying Stella." Hugh saw the point to Ezra's thinking but I wasn't about to obey them so I let them believe the argument was done.

As they got out of the car I watched them make their way severing the fallen dark ones. One by one they fell before going into the house. 

Just then another two cars with more of them pulled up.