All's Fair in Lasagna & Invitations

01/26/2015

01/26/2015

To no surprise I soon found out Harlan had seen the scientist and I arrive together the other day and it was him who spread the rumors about us to the rest of the nurses. Although I felt ashamed I wasn't going to let it show, it stung when some of the Peds nurses who usually politely smiled instead stared. Finally my lunch hour came, we all took it different times and Harlan followed me in the coffee room and sat down on the chair by my side to eat.

"So Dr. Iceberg was your connection in to the race for the trial? Makes sense," Harlan bothered me.

"He wasn't my connection, I had never met him before."

"Oh so you just figured out how the melt the ice after meeting him? Good move, you should really be proud of yourself, I mean once you win every one here will be so happy with the way it happened."

"Seriously?"

"Hey you're shameless, own it, all's fair in love and war."

"Harlan this is not war, or love, and I suggest you get back to reality because it's my lunch hour so let me be alone please," I said opening my lasagna and iced tea.

"I guess you feel quite confident going from doctor's pet to doctor's protégé, classy so was it worth it to compromise your medical integrity to just be known as the blonde bimbo Dr. Iceberg screws?"

"You must be really bored with your own life aren't you? Or are you just afraid I will win?"

"Afraid of you? You'd love that wouldn't you but I have a question from the people, what about Dr. Fitz? Does he get to play a part too? Or should I say three?" I hated how everything that came out from Harlan's mouth had such a distasteful connotation, don't get me wrong I wasn't a puritan but why did everything go south with him?

"Harlan I get it, you hate where you're at, you hate coming to the hospital every morning, you hate competing with those you deem less than you, maybe you even hate yourself for staying here. But I don't, in fact I love coming in here doing my job and then leaving to go home so why don't you go find what makes you happy? Then you can finally stop trying make us miserable like you and you might be known something other than as the young jerk that screws everything that moves."

"You think your little speech is going to work on me? You're just trying to not answer my questions but I can see right through you Stella."

"Oh you can? Then answer me, are you happy?"

"Why do you care? My happiness is none of your business."

"Well you made it my business when you decided to bother me so when was the last time you were happy? Or even content if happy is too of a strong word for you?"

"So what happens when I tell you? Do I get a prize or something?"

"Maybe I should sign you up for a psych eval because you can't even remember it can you? The one tiny moment where everything felt right? And don't say anything dirty."