Emily: Part 12

Emily sat on a bar stool in Nate's apartment, alone in an empty kitchen. She was eating some yogurt like everything was fine... but it wasn't. Her and Nate hadn't talked in weeks; only glanced as they passed each other in the apartment. The news had came that Emily's parents wouldn't be home for a while due to weather.

She stood up and threw the half eaten yogurt in the trash and looked up; her eyes widened.

"Hello," Nate firmly said as he looked down at her.

A word.

Only one, but the first that had come in weeks. Emily was so shocked she could barely respond, "Hi." She attempted to say it in a firm tone but it ended up coming out in what was barely above a whisper.

"How are you?" Nate said in the same tone.

It was only then that Emily looked up from the ground to realize how close they were standing; there was clearly tension between them.

"Very well, and yourself?" Emily plastered a fake smile on her face.

"Quite well, thank you." Nate put on a smile as well but it wasn't his smile. His happy smile he had when they would watch movies together or go to the park, this is the smile that showed businesses.

They stood there in silence for a few moments; no one spoke, they simply looked with fake smiles plastered to their faces. Emily took a step back but was stopped as a hand was placed on her back and Nate leaned close to her ear.

"Now, I don't think I like your smile." He leaned back slightly, allowing only centimeters between them.

Emily held her breath and finally made eye contact. "Well isn't that unfortun-"

He kissed her.

For a moment she gave in but then remembered .

Don't get attached .

She pushed him away and all the glasses fell off the shelves. "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!" she yelled .

"Emily-"

Her voice trembled as she spoke "You know I can't- you can't- me, I'm going to die and I'm not taking the alternative." She looked down, unable to make eye contact .

Nate's face changed form a caring one to a hard stern look. "Fine," he said before walking past her and through the door.

The apartment shook as the door was slammed in anger. Emily stood in the middle of the kitchen, attempting to hold back the tears.