•prologue•

Insane, nuts, psychopath, mad—those were just some of the terms people liked to describe me.

I tried so hard to convince myself that I wasn't going insane, but looking back at everything that happened, it was hard to believe.

Maybe I was losing my sanity, but I just wasn't noticing.

I thought it was all just some crazy, stupid dream, and that I'd just wake up soon as the sun's rays escaped through my window pane.

But I don't think so.

If this even was a dream, I would've woken up years ago.

You see, I have a demon living inside of me—It sounds crazy, but there's a story behind it.

I was 8. A innocent little girl who was oblivious of the dangers of the world. My parents were archeologists and they would always bring me to the historical places they would visit. They figured that it would be educational for me too, seeing that I was a sucker for knowledge and I loved learning about new things.

I was always excited—patiently waiting for our next adventure.

It was a very sunny day when we visited a rainforest near Florida.

"Mommy, can I go there?" I told my mom excitedly, hoping that she'd say yes. There was something behind the tree, kind of like a cave. Maybe I could help them find something.

"Sure, sweetie. Just come back soon. We'll be here." Mom nodded, keeping her eyes on the little trinket that dad had just dug up.

I skipped over the rocks carefully and I reached the front of the cave. Without any hesitation, I entered it.

There were weird messages along the rocky wall—ones that I couldn't read. They seemed ancient, so it was probably a great idea to tell my parents.

I turned and started to head back, when I heard a whisper. It was very weird.

Maybe it was just the wind. But it whispered something again. It came from a deeper part of the cave. So I decided to go and look where it was coming from.

I was scared, but just a little.

I made my way through the old worn out cave and reached a dead end. There was a small chest placed at the center, illuminated by a hole on the roof. It had the same pattern that the trinket my mother held.

I figured that they must've been related, so I opened it.

"Thank you to setting me free," Something whispered. A puff of smoke, almost like mist, flew around. It circled me then upwards.

I shrugged. Probably just my imagination.

I walked back to my parents, seeing that they had panicked looks plastered across their faces.

"Y/N! Sweetie, did you go to that cave?" My mother runs over to me, bending down to my height as she asked me, concerned.

"No, why?" I lied. I would've gotten in trouble if i said yes.

"Your mother and I have just found out that that cave was forbidden for anyone that entered," My dad speaks up, standing up from where he was kneeling down on the ground with the trinket in his hand. "This," He says, hold in it up so I could see it better, "This was used to summon the spirit that was living there. It's dangerous if it ever possessed anyone."

"Okay, I think that's enough. Let's head back to the car." My mom smiles, taking my hand as we made our way out the forest.

But little did my 8-year-old self know, I had been possessed by that demon.