•eighteen•

author's note || we tuk a chonce. (1D song reference, look at the title)
sorry if this is crap. i've literally been on my period for 4 days and iT WONT GO AWAY GOD and the cramps are to0 rEal.
you know, i'd make a menstrual joke, but those aren't funny. period.

• • •

I hurried back outside, looking for Gruff. I could see the children and Miss Peregrine walking towards the house as Jake approached me. He put his hands on my shoulders and practically screamed, "Are you okay? Where were you?"

"I'm fine, Jake." I smiled half-heartedly, avoiding his gaze as I let go of his grip. "I have to find Gruff."

"Okay," I hear him mumble as they all walked back inside the house.

"Y/N, dear. Where did you go?" Miss Peregrine asks, a stern look on her face. I knew that she was only concerned, so I told her that I went to the beach to collect my thoughts and she nodded, dismissing me afterwards. I walk towards the field.

"Y/N!" I turned my head to find Gruff heading towards me. He had a disappointed look plastered on his face. "Any luck?"

"Not a speck of it," He paused, "I'm pretty sure we have to try harder than just looking under rocks to find Auttie." I sighed in response, and he suddenly smirks. "Where'd you get the flower?"

I gazed at him in confusion and realized he'd been talking about the flower in my hair. A small blush crept upon my cheeks at the memory of Enoch. "Someone gave it to me," I replied simply.

"Who?"

"Enoch."

~

"Y/N?" Gruff sat on the bed beside me as I read a book. It was a little over an hour before dinner so I decided to stay in my room instead of going outside and play with the other kids. I turned my head to face him and raised an eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"I just, I thought about it, and now I realize that Auttie's body really can't take the pressure of being in someone else's body." He explained with thoughtful eyes as I listened intently.

"And your point is...?" I queried, shutting my book closed and placing it on the bedside table.

"We could stop her, Y/N." Gruff replies. My eyes widen in surprise—but he seemed so bummed about it.

"How?"

"The next time she possesses you, I won't talk her out of it," He pauses, "And I know what you're thinking, I can't do that—at least when you're out in the open—so I thought, we could put you in a cage and wait until she gets out herself,"

"But that would mean—"

"One of you won't make it." Gruff states and I felt my heart almost shatter, because this meant that if I died, I wouldn't see the children and Miss Peregrine anymore; especially Enoch. Gruff would have his sister back, and then he'd be happy.

If Auttie died, he'd never forgive himself. But I could be with the children; maybe even return to my family, but they were pretty much out of the picture after they sent me here. I could be with Enoch.

I shook my head to snap myself out of my thoughts. "Where the hell are we gonna get a cage?"

"I'm going to build one, but we need to ask Miss Peregrine for her permission." Gruff explained. I nodded as a thought popped into my mind.

"Could I possibly tell Enoch about this?"

"I don't see why not," He smiled, "He could help put you inside when Auttie enters your body." I laughed, wondering how he was so casual about just shoving me into a cage and possibly killing both me and his sister. Auttie wouldn't last very long, and my body would probably be drained of energy, resulting in me staying in bed for days—maybe even weeks.

"What?"

"Nothing. You aren't bothered at all? That you could lose your sister?"

"That's the point, Y/N. Let's just hope you're the one who survives."

"But she's your sister, you idiot! Don't you want her to be alive? I thought—"

"I would love to have her back. But you're more important now. You've got your friends, your family, and Enoch, and you can't leave them behind."