•twenty two•

"I think you're the insane one here, O'Connor." I twist my lips into a cheeky smile.

"Really now?" Enoch laughed.

"Children don't play with dead things," I remark.

"Too bad I'm more than a hundred years old." He shots back, a smirk lying on his lips and I roll my eyes.

"Whatever, if the normals would see you, they'd think you're absolutely insane. Like my parents," I smiled sadly, remembering my home back in Florida. The sun was always shining, never failing to make me smile. My small amount of friends would come hang out in my house at times, and we'd end up blasting our favorite songs out loud, dancing to the beat.

"You alright, love?" Enoch asks, the question laced with concern as it exits his lips. I nod almost immediately. "Yeah, I-I'm okay. I just miss home."

"Don't be, your home is here, with me-I-I mean, with all of us." He stuttered. I laughed and poked his shoulder, muttering;

"Cheesy, you are."

~

By the next morning, Gruff had finished the cage. I don't know how the dog did it, but he's magical, so that's explained I guess. He'd woken me up with a very vigorous shake at the shoulder, clearly excited and proud of his work.

"What?" I angrily queried, quite cranky that I had been awoken during the early hours of the day. It's either I wake up early, or don't at all.

"I finished the cage!" Gruff replied happily and for a moment, I believed all his sadness had vanished, even though I knew he was hiding it. Brushing off my thoughts, I push myself into the duvet, desperate to get more sleep. I felt him shake my body again and I almost screamed. "You magical little shit. Give me sleep."

"Whatever, you can miss breakfast." He added, floating away. I tried grabbing his tail to try and stop him but-

Flop.

I fell face first on the wooden floor.

Dammit.

~

I sat on the shore, gazing into the ocean waves for what felt like a millennial. They were almost as beautiful as Enoch's eyes. Almost. Speaking of Enoch, I wish he was here.

It was a little after noon, so the sun was directly above me. I hadn't gone back home to eat lunch, which I'll probably get in trouble for. I just thought an hour or two would be refreshing, away from the children who constantly asked questions about the cage lying beside their household. I had to explain the whole thing to them, twice to Claire, and almost a third time when Horace suggested that he'd do it for me while I got sone fresh air. What an absolute gentleman. As for Enoch, he didn't run after me, which was quite disappointing, but he probably had some work to do. I headed to the beachside, bringing extra clothes incase I was crazy enough to jump in the water at some point. But here I was now, forgetting about all my problems as I stared into the breathtaking view.

"Wonderful view, isn't it?" I whipped my head around to see the unmistakable figure of Enoch, his Scottish accent prominent.

"Don't swoon, Y/N." Gruff whispers teasingly as I roll my eyes, hitting him in the back of his head only to see Enoch laugh. I must've looked ridiculous.

"You don't plan on eating lunch?" Enoch questioned, taking his seat on the rock beside me.

"I'd rather starve."

"I don't think that's a good idea." He said, chuckling. I sighed. "I'm just not in the mood, I guess."

"Well, you have to go back at some point. I don't think Miss Peregrine will be too happy about your absence." Enoch explained.

"Can't we just stay here longer?" I pleaded, pouting.

"We can't-"

"Pleaseeeee?"

"Okay, okay. Only for a while." He gave in and I grin triumphantly.

I lean my head on his shoulder and he wraps an arm around my waist, as we looked at the ocean and some boats passing by.

• • •

author's note || i loved this chapter so much h0ly chip. tell me what you think in the comments :) the story's close to the end. i'm thinking i should end at the 25th chapter. maybe, idk.
thanks for reading muffinz

~ anastasia 🍼🍪