•six•

Sooner or later, a house came into view. Jake grinned. "We're here."

"Where's everyone?" I asked as we stopped at the front door. Jake was about to knock but a woman who appeared to be in her late 30s opened the door with a teethy grin. Behind her were the children. "Well there's your answer," Jake whispered.

"Jake! And you must be Y/N. Miss Peregrine, delighted to meet you." Miss Peregrine takes the pipe out her mouth with her left hand and held out her other one for me to shake. I did gladly as she took a step back so we could enter.

"Jake!" A girl with short blonde curls wearing a pink dress smiled, attempting to hug Jake. He lifts her up and grins.

"Everyone, this is Y/N. She will be staying with us from now on," Miss P announces. "Introduce yourselves to her."

The curly blonde-haired girl squirms out of Jake's grip as she hugged me. "I'm Claire." She cheered happily.

I smiled. I refused to speak to anyone just incase I stuttered and embarrassed myself. No one had asked about my peculiarity, which was relieving because I didn't have any type of will to talk about it.

But speaking of peculiarities, everyone here had so many useful abilities, and they were unique too. Millard was invisible, Fiona could manipulate plants, Bronwyn had super strength, Claire had a backmouth, Hugh had bees inside his stomach, Horace had prophetic dreams, Emma could float, Olive could control fire, and their headmistress could turn into a bird and manipulate time.

Then I remembered a particular person that Jake had compared me to.

"Hey, where's that Enoch guy you were talking about?" I whispered to Jake as he put Claire down gently so she could play outside.

"He isn't the, uh, social butterfly type. He values his solitude." He adds before Miss Peregrine smiles at me.

"May I have a word, Y/N?"

"Uh, sure." I put on a fake smile before entering her study and I saw Jake walk out the house with Emma.

"Take a seat, dear." She offered as she sat behind her table. "How do you feel about the whole situation with your parents?"

I swallowed the huge lump in my throat. I've tried to avoid this topic ever since it happened but of course, people always had to bring it up.

Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale, break down. No, just, inhale, exhale.

"I-I'm still upset over hurting them. So they sent me here for good, but I feel like I don't belong h-here—" I broke into tears as I saw Miss Peregrine stand. She pat my back, hoping to comfort me.

"Everyone loves you already, don't say that. I'll make sure you feel better about your peculiarity, and eventually you'll learn to embrace it as your own." She smiled before motioning for me to stand.

"Miss Bloom!" Miss P calls and Emma appears moments later. "Lead Y/N to her room."

"Of course, this way Y/N." She smiles, ignoring my tears as I hurriedly tried to wipe them away and then taking my luggage upstairs—wherever Emma would take me.

"You okay?" Emma asks as we trudged up the stairs.

"Kind of." I laughed as we pass by a slightly open door. There were noises coming from inside, like metal clashing against each other.

"What's that?" I queried.

"It's just Enoch and his dolls, don't bother entering, the guy's an absolute freak." She laughed as we finally reach the door to my room. It wasn't very far from Enoch's.

Emma opens the door to reveal a room with a bed, a vanity, and a closet. It was neat and clean but the walls were a dull shade of gray. No matter how much I could relate my feelings to that particular shade, I didn't want to keep it. Sure, I was depressed, but I wanted to change that.

"Bathroom is down the hall. My room is right next to yours so if you need anything, don't be afraid to knock on my door." Emma smiled before walking away, leaving me to unpack. I placed my bag beside the bed.

Once she was gone, I called Gruff and he appeared almost immediately.

"Boy, boy. This room needs a makeover." Gruff says in his diva voice as I laughed, making sure that the door was closed so no one could hear us.

"Start by putting up the lights I brought."

"You brought lights?"

"Yeah, I did, now help me put them up." I laughed.

~

Gruff and I ended up keeping the walls gray because it fit in with whatever theme we had going on

Gruff and I ended up keeping the walls gray because it fit in with whatever theme we had going on. We attached the fairy lights to the ceiling, (thanks to Emma for the pins) and I put up some picture frames I brought, incuding the picture where I was just newly born with my parents cuddling me. I began to unpack all my clothes and hang them in the closet, beside the vanity table where I placed my makeup bag and other necessities.

There wasn't a light bulb so only the fairy lights were the source of light in the room, other than the window, so it made the atmosphere a bit dull, but I found comfort in it. My bedroom looked too modern to be in 1943 but I ignored it.

"I'm gonna sleep for a while," I told Gruff and sighed when I saw him already snoring on one of the pillows. "Of course." I laid down beside him as I drifted off to sleep.

•••

author's note || yayayayay double update!
thanks for reading fammm

~ anastasia 💟💕