TWO

t w o
" aren't you going to buy anything? "
-

 t w o" aren't you going to buy anything? "-

-

Chris had barely been living in his flat for a month. It was surreal to be in somewhere that wasn't his family home, but it was time for a change and he hadn't quite gotten round to regretting that change yet.

The food was pretty good, lots of places to buy from, and there was always plenty going on, but it felt, somewhat, lonely. He only knew a few people here, people who he didn't know if he could consider close enough friends to see most days, but people who he had nonetheless.

And he appreciated that.

He also appreciated the free wifi of the local bar, which he couldn't quite stay connected to from his apartment, much to his dismay.

So, that was how he'd ended up editing his latest video in the bar across the street from his home, trying not to pay attention to the frequent looks from the girl behind the counter.

She was pretty, to say the least, with her warm skin held by tumbling, dark locks of hair, deep eyes framed by long lashes and a seemingly permanent frown on her lips.

He caught her eye again from over the top of his laptop, but quickly he looked away.

The sound of footsteps had him silently praying that wasn't her coming over to him. Chris made himself look busy, but out of the corner of his eye he could see a pair of feet stood beside his table for two.

Eventually, he looked up, coming face to face with the scowling girl. She was frowning at him now, her arms folded.

"Can I help you?" Chris questioned, leaning back in the chair, folding his arms.

"Aren't you going to buy anything? You've been here for almost an hour and you haven't even ordered a drink yet," She said all at once, her frustrations tumbling off her tongue. It had been brewing the entire time he'd been there.

Usually, customers ordered quickly and then kept to themselves. That was fine, but not ordering at all was far from fine.

"I got a water," Chris defended, gesturing to the, now empty, glass.

She let out a breathy laugh, glancing away from him as her tongue darted over her lips. She sniffed before she looked back to him and said, "The water is free."

"So is the wifi," He countered, causing her to raise a dark eyebrow.

"The wifi is only free if you buy something." She braced both of her hands on the table and leant forward slightly. "So, either you buy something or you can kiss the wifi goodbye."

Chris sighed, fluffing his hand through his hair as he considered, and then said, "Fine, I'll take the cheapest, non-alcoholic drink available."

The girl's face instantly shifted into a, obviously forced, sparkling grin as she chirped, "Alright! I'll be right back with that, Sir!" She strut away, pleased with herself, leaving Chris to mutter to himself as he went back to his editing.

-

She was quick with the drink, coming back before he'd even had time to delve back into his editing. She placed it down and offered him a smile.

"I'm Cora, by the way," She said, her voice taking on a much more gentle tone.

If he hadn't been so pre-occupied by his annoyance for her, he would have noticed the way she fluttered her eyelashes at him.

"Chris," He responded curtly, wanting to be left alone.

She stiffened up, her smile fading as she stood straighter. "Well, it was good to know the name of the guy who tried to steal my wifi."

"It's free."

"Only if you buy something."

"Then, that's false advertising."

"No, it's self-explanatory."

"If you don't mind, I'm trying to edit and upload for this evening, so..." He drifted off, looking away from her back to the screen.

"Just be done by tonight. It gets a bit rowdy in here for you to be trying to work." She glanced to the door for a moment, then back to Chris.

"Don't worry, I'll be done," He responded.

"Good."

-