TWENTY ONE

t w e n t y o n e
" another year single
would have flown by "
-

t w e n t y   o n e" another year singlewould have flown by "-

-

Chris stood outside the same, old bar as he waited for his date. She was, what some guys would call, a pocket rocket. Short, spritely and definitely party ready. Chris wasn't sure whether that was good or bad for him, or whether that meant she could be into sport, but he was open to it now that he'd turned down too many girls already.

Opening his options was his only option.

What did he know about dating anyway? This girl could be everything he needed. Someone to motivate him to get out and do something with his life instead of sitting inside editing all day. Summer was gone by now and Winter on its way fast.

Christmas would be here and gone before he knew it and another year single would have flown by.

"Hi, are you Chris?" A sweet, American tanged voice asked, snapping him to his senses.

"Yes," He replied, looking her right in her ardent blue eyes. They were a glassy blue; looking as if they would shatter at any sudden jolt.

"I'm Mara," She told him, already her eyes running all over his face. "It's good to meet you." She pulled her jacket tighter around her shoulders and readjusted her bag on her shoulders.

"You too," Chris replied, already slightly intimidated by her forwardness. "Shall we go in?" He gestured to the door woodenly.

It almost felt like he'd never even been on a date before, or seen a member of the female species. The way she looked at him made him feel like she wasn't just there for a chat and a cocktail. More like he was the fattest turkey on Christmas day.

"Yeah, great," She said, chirpily. Her high pony tail of dark hair swung as she slipped past him into the bar, hips swinging seductively.

Chris averted his eyes, cheeks flushed at the overconfidence.

Again, they took a seat at the bar. Unmistakably, Cora raised her eyebrows at him and Mara sat there.

"What a pleasant surprise to see you again, Mara," She said as she wandered over, twirling a straw between her long fingers. "Didn't think you'd be back here after the last time."

"I thought we agreed to forget about that and move on." Mara looked to Chris with a sultry smile. "Besides, there's no better place in town for a first date."

"No, apparently not," Cora replied, eyeing Chris. "He can't seem to pick any other destination. Creative. Definitely a keeper," She said, rolling her eyes. "When you want to order, call me over."

She turned away from them. Not to serve anyone else, but to speak with Rosa in hushed tones that Chris couldn't quite catch.

Deciding it would be rude not to pay attention to his date, he turned his focus to her and, much in the spirit of the date, said "So, tell me about yourself."

-

-

Earlier that day, Lewis and Adela sat down to eat their lunch.

Unsuspectingly, most places were packed with bubbling tourists, office bees, messy families, and loved-up couples. Adela didn't mind too much. In fact, it felt odd to be the one being apologised to and now she knew what it must feel like when she unnecessarily apologised to others all the time.

"I'm sorry we have to sit on this bench with take-away sandwiches," Lewis grumbled as he unwrapped his lunch.

"You say that as if it could be helped," Adela quipped, already biting into her food, quelling her gurgling stomach. She swallowed the bite. "Besides, who wouldn't want to sit by a pond and eat their lunch?"

"Wouldn't you rather be sat on comfy seats in the warmth?" He asked, still frowning. It creased through his tan features, sinking into his skin unnaturally.

"Lunch is lunch, right?" She grinned. He thought it was a wonderful smile. Made the unforeseen lunch location worth it just for that. An easily drawn to conclusion with a beaming smile like hers gazing right at him.

Even if her lipstick had faded a little as she ate, it was still her colour and full of warmth. Forcing himself to push those thoughts away, he looked out onto the pond and watched the mother duck and her train of ducklings swimming by the water's edge.

Adela watched them too. They were very sweet; picture perfect. If she were a photographer, she would be on the floor capturing just the right angle. But she was not. So she simply sat back and watched the beauty paddle by, shuffling closer to Lewis ever so slightly for warmth, but also to let him know she was happy right where she was.

"So," Adela began as she crumpled the foil in her hands, moulding it into a ball. "How was work?"

The question caught him off guard. He wasn't expecting her to care.

"It was good. We just did some brainstorming for some new products, but I'll have to run them by Josh later this evening. He had to work his main job today, sadly," He explained, picking at the left over crusts.

With a sudden thought, he threw one into the pond. The ducks immediately swarmed it, one carrying it off to scoff it.

"Do you think you'll ever be able to have your company as your main job, not a side project?" She was full of questions today. A curious mood. it was a blessing, of sorts. Maybe it showed just how comfortable she really was with Lewis in such a short period of time; the thought warmed his insides.

"We hope so," Lewis responded, turning back to her with a lopsided smile. Handsome and yet not arrogant or ignorant to others. He was a kind person. Good heart and most definitely someone Adela saw herself becoming close friends with. "You ought to come and see the designs and clothes some time. I don't know if it'll be your style, but I've talked about it so much to the point where it would be stupid not to show you!"

"That would be great, yeah," She said with a glowing expression. "Maybe I can meet this Josh character you've talked about."

For a moment, Lewis hummed and then spoke again, "Yeah, he might be kicking about." He tossed another crust into the pond, thinking. Then he looked to her with a start and a shift of enthusiasm in his face. "You could come by now, if you're not busy. I have to walk someone's dog at four, but we've got..." he looked at his watch, "we've got three hours."

"I don't know..." Adela hesitated. "I don't want to get in your way if you've got designs to go over."

"Not at all!" He exclaimed, standing up with a start and extending a hand to her. "Come on." She hesitated again, but only briefly before she took his hand, allowing him to yank her up. With a tremendous laugh, she was pulled to her feet and almost didn't let go of him as they walked along the path back to his car.

-
28.10.17