FIFTEEN

f i f t e e n
" plotting murder "
-

f i f t e e n" plotting murder "-

-

Adela pulled her little old car up outside the apartment she was about to view. The apartment that could be hers. Not anyone else's. It would be hers and hers alone.

No Simon, no mum, no Alice.

Just Adela Chase.

She wished it wasn't as scary as it sounded. She'd never lived alone before and it had been such a long time since she'd had her own bed. Adela was overthinking it, she hadn't even seen the flat yet, and still she was worrying as if she was moving in tomorrow.

Beside her, for moral support, Alice sat. The best friends looked at one another, not able to contain their excitement. They both started grinning. It was nice to smile like that again. It was as if they were in school again, beaming at one another when they had to choose their partners in class. There wasn't a time when they didn't pick one another. Adela, being one of the teacher's favourites, although she would deny this, always managed to talk them into letting her and Alice stay sat together too.

They had always been inseparable.

"I think we should go in before we look anymore like maniacs," Alice laughed, resting her head back against the seat. "We're just sat in your ratty old car, sorry, grinning like idiots. Anyone is going to think we're plotting murder."

"If they do, then I'll tell 'em where we're really going. The more people I tell the realer it becomes." She can barely keep still for the excitement. Her leg was bouncing up and down, a personal pet hate of hers but a habit she had.

"Is that so?" Alice murmured, glancing out of the window.

"Incredibly so," Adela sighed, resting her head back blissfully.

"Then you better prove it and get the hell out of this car because that cute guy from the park is literally walking down the pavement as we speak, or grin." She poked Adela in the side. "Get out and say hi."

"Really? But I didn't call him back," Adela grumbled, looking out the window quickly. She was right, he was walking towards them. This time he was walking an elderly greyhound wearing its waterproof coat.

"If he's worth it, he won't care about that," Alice told her as she unclicked Adela's seatbelt for her and reached across to open the car door. At that point, Adela batted her friend's hand away.

"Alright, I'll go," She groaned, pushing the door open. She looked back at Alice, who urged her on, before stepping out of the car.

Lewis saw her as soon as she got out, waving a greeting straight away. "Adela, hey," He said, smiling. He looked just like he always did. His dark hair swept back, his eyes ever peering and a smile of the gods. Undeniably, he was attractive, but she couldn't think like that.

She dug her hands into the pockets of her jacket. "Hey, I saw you walking down and I just wanted to come and say hi." She felt ridiculous saying it, but she was there now and there was no going back.

"It's good to see you again," He said, glancing away and then back to her again. She wished she knew what he was thinking. Although, she guessed it was along the lines of 'why is she talking to me now?'. "I was expecting a call."

"I know, I know," She replied, her cheeks heating peach. "I was going to call, but I've been so busy with finding a new place to live and finding a new job... I just didn't have time. I didn't want to end up having to blow off meeting you because of an opportunity."

"Honestly, it's fine. It's just lucky that we always seem to cross paths." Lewis noted; Adela laughed in response. "So, you're moving?"

"Yeah, that's actually why I'm here. I'm about to go look at a potential apartment," She said, gesturing across the road to the block of flats. "I'm hoping to be moving in to one as soon as I can."

Truthfully, she couldn't wait to move in to her own place. Living with her mum again was far from ideal, as much as she loved her. It made her feel young again. And claustrophobic; as if life was holding her down. It didn't feel like she was going anywhere, but even viewing an apartment made her shoulders feel lighter again.

"I should leave you to it," He told her. "Plus, Herbert still needs his walk." The dog was sat patiently at his feet, panting but happy.

"Of course, but it was nice to see you again." She stroked a hand over Herbert's head, scratching behind his ear. Over her shoulder, she gestured for Alice to get out and join her. The girl rolled her eyes and got out of the car, locking it behind her.

"Right, I'll catch you later then. Call me, ok?" He gave her a smile before lightly tugging on the lead, urging the old dog to stand.

"Ok, see you later," Adela replied, slightly guiltily.

Lewis said a polite hello to Alice as he passed by, but she was trained on Adela and, unintentionally, ignored him.

"You ready to go in? The agent called again because we're a little late and I told her that we were still coming."

"Al--" She tried to cut in, but Alice was on a roll.

When Alice started rambling, there was little stopping her until she'd said all that was on her mind. Clearly, she'd been thinking about a lot of things in the short space of time she was on her own in the car.

"But it's totally ok if you don't want to. I won't judge you or be mad at you for making me drive all the way here, even if it is a fifteen minute drive."

"Alice, it's fine. I want to go in."

"Then, let's go, Miss Independent." She laughed, looping their arms just like they always did.

-

1005 words
once adela has her life sorted, lewis will become a bigger figure in her life