FIVE

f i v e
" there's no such thing as a break "
-

f i v e" there's no such thing as a break "-

-

"I just don't know what I did wrong to make him think 'I wonder what it would be like to be single and on my own for once'. I don't know if I want to know, but it's killing me to know that this could be it," Adela rambled, her lips brushing against the rim of the coffee mug as she leant her elbows on the counter of her mum's bookstore.

"Adela, honey, I know you're upset, but you've been non-stop thinking about him and this 'break', which by the way is the worst idea I think you've ever agreed to, and it's not good for you to keep thinking about it," Her mum said, putting a hand on her shoulder and squeezing comfortingly.

"I know, I know." She sighed, her voice muffled as she took a sip.

"Maybe you should take the day off. It's not busy today and I think Alice would give better advice than me. She's full of wisdom."

"No, no," Adela said, her face screwing up slightly. "I'm honestly fine. I'll stick around, sort out some shelves and then call Alice later to go get some pizza or something."

"Ok, just try to think about something other than that despicable excuse for a gentleman. Maybe read a book if you find one that takes your fancy." She offered a smile and another squeeze of the shoulder before she pulled her glasses off the top of her head and went back to the finances she'd been trying to do for the past hour.

Adela sighed again. How was she supposed to just not think about the boy she'd spent every day for almost four years thinking about? Those emotions couldn't just be shut off with the flick of a switch, even if she had known about his idea for a 'break' for a little while before it all became a very real and heart-wrenching reality.

Adela supposed she hadn't really thought he'd go through with it, even as he helped her pack all her books, reaching the ones on the higher shelves for her. He never usually did anything so drastic. Why now? Why, of all things, did he decide a new job and dumping his long-term girlfriend was the best thing for his little 'self-discovery' experiment?

With a groan, she slammed her mug down on the closest bookshelf and pushed her hands into her hair. She took a moment to rest her forehead against the wood, willing herself not to cry again.

"Are you sure you're fine, Ads?" Asked a familiar voice that sent her eyes flying open. She turned her head slightly to see little old Alice stood there, a bunch of flowers in one hand and a thin book in the other. When Adela just carried on looking at her, she shrugged her shoulders. "Your mum called me. I brought a poetry book and flowers to cheer you up." She smiled wonkily and Adela had never been happier to see that lopsided smile in her whole life.

She crossed the space between them in seconds and flung her arms around Alice. She could feel her rubbing her back and telling her it wasn't her fault she had bad taste in men, which made her giggle.

"I don't understand what I did wrong," Adela mumbled.

"I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I know you didn't because you were the best girlfriend he ever could have wished for and he threw that away, not you," Alice told her, gripping her tighter as if that would make the hurt go away.

"We're just on a break."

"There's no such thing as a break."

"Yes there is and we're on one."

"No, Ads, listen to me. There's no such thing as a break." She put down the gifts and held her friend at an arms length as she spoke, looking her right in the eyes. "Breaks are just excuses to break up, see other people and then get back together without guilt. For all you know, whilst you're here heartbroken, he's out there getting risky with other girls."

Adela laughed a little at Alice's phrasing, but her eyes drifted away.

"Do you really think he'd do that to me?"

"I know he would, and I'm telling you this as a friend, as your best friend, who wants you to find a guy who won't sack you off for some experiment. Now," She said, taking both of Adela's hands in hers. "We're going for pizza, and then ice-cream, and then to the beach, and then to my apartment to watch shitty comedy films until we can't keep our eyes open anymore."

"What would I do without you, Alice?"

"You'd be drinking cold coffee and thinking about Simon Minter for the rest of your sorry life."

Maybe she wanted to think about Simon for the rest of her life, but Alice was shoving the flowers and poetry into her hands and dragging her from the store before any protests could be made.

And maybe that was for the best.

-
20.4.17