TWENTY SIX

t w e n t y  s i x
" not my type "
-

t w e n t y  s i x" not my type "-

-

"How many decorations do you need?" Chris questioned in complaint as Cora pulled another set of lights from the shelf and put it in their trolley.

"Enough to fill the whole bar, I guess?" She paused for a moment, running her finger along the cold, metal edge of the trolley, its jagged points where metal joined metal digging into her fingertip. "I've never really done this before, to be honest."

"You've never decorated before?" Somehow, his frown got deeper as he looked at the bar-owner in confusion.

She sighed, clicking her tongue as she turned away from him, not wanting him to see the slight blush that had crossed her cheeks. That hadn't been what she'd meant and now she felt stupid.

"Of course I've decorated, you twat. I just meant I've never decorated the bar so I don't know what will work, what won't work or what will just get stolen or damaged by idiots who can't handle their damn drink," She rambled, pretending to be disinterested in him and instead more interested in the selection of light up snowmen.

In her ramble, the warm presence of Chris had come to stand next to her, also looking at the products. "I don't think you can go far wrong with a light up edition of Frosty the Snowman," He joked, nudging her slightly with his elbow.

She grumbled an inaudible thank you and grabbed one of the boxes with the snowman inside.

"What was that?" Chris asked, eyebrows raised and a cheeky grin sliding across his face. "Did I just hear a thank you, or am I just hearing things?"

Cora kept her eyes down as she attempted to balance the box on top of her other purchases, trying to keep the matching grin off her face as she denied it. "Nope. You owe me one anyway so it's only fair you help me, right?"

"I didn't ask you to kiss me," Chris continued, attempting to keep pace with Cora who was now speedily pushing the trolley towards the check out. "But you did it anyway."

"I did it because you looked like a deer caught in headlights with those guys waiting for you to explain what you've done with your life since you left the hell hole known as school," Cora justified. Her glance to him, even for a second, was a mistake, because he was still grinning. He knew he'd gotten under her skin and he was enjoying every damn second of it, just like she would. "Besides," she swallowed. "It wasn't as if you had an awful time."

"I wasn't complaining, but you know you're not my type right?"

The cashier inhaled sharply at those words, busying herself with scanning the items through as Cora unloaded them in an attempt not to be a part of whatever argument the assumed-couple were having.

"Oh, shut up," Cora replied, regaining her swing. "I'm everyone's type and you know it."

"When was the last time you went on a proper date then, hm?" Chris challenged, squaring up to her for the first time. It wasn't common for him to rise up to her like that and part of her liked it, even though he'd definitely caught her with that question and hit a nerve in the process.