THIRTY FOUR

t h i r t y f o u r
" not hopeless, just single "
-

t h i r t y  f o u r" not hopeless, just single "-

-

Two days after Christmas, Simon decided to bite the bullet.

Finally taking Cora's advice, he'd phoned Adela that morning with the excuse of wanting to come and pick up any of his old belongings he'd left with her. She seemed in a chirpy mood, agreeing to gather them all together for him to run over and get them.

There wasn't any nerves, but there was a sense of anticipation to see her again. Just her. They could finally talk now without prying ears listening to every word, searching for meaning and wanting to know the story neither of them really knew all too well either. They'd lived it, but only their half.

She was quick to open the door after he knocked and he couldn't help but look her over as she greeted him with that familiar smile that seemed like that of a ghost's to him now. he didn't look her over in lust, just in memory. Just in wondering how she was, remembering how she used to be.

Her hair was loose as always, stroking her shoulders as she tilted her head with a smile, beckoning him to come in. She'd dressed herself in a cosy wool jumper and a pair of old sports leggings with a hole in the knee. It wasn't odd to see her dressed like this. It was how she dressed when she was just lounging around their apartment, but it was such a contrast to how she'd looked when she'd turned up to the party.

"I put all your stuff in a box so it's easier for you to carry," Adela explained, gesturing to the medium sized box on the breakfast bar. "I was surprised at how much of your stuff I'd stolen." She even laughed.

"It's fine," Simon replied, leaning over to peer into the box. "I didn't miss it too much."

"Do you want a drink or something? Or have you got somewhere to be? I bet Catherine's waiting for you back home," Adela rambled, going up on her toes as she stretched for a mug out of the cupboard.

Simon came around behind her and grabbed the mug with ease, along with one for himself. Adela slipped out from beneath him and turned to fill the kettle.

"I'm not with Catherine anymore," Simon said, leaning his weight against the counter.

"Oh," Adela replied, flicking the kettle on to boil. The noise between them filled the silence that had lapsed. "I'm sorry, Simon."

"It's fine," He said, watching her flit about the little kitchen putting the tea bags into the mugs, getting the milk out of the fridge ready, and getting a half-eaten packet of biscuits from the tin.

"What happened?" She'd run out of things to keep herself busy with and was left to face Simon. Even meeting his eyes now was hard, but she forced herself to. They were as blue as ever, just how she remembered adoring.

"It just wasn't right, y'know? Not anyone's fault really," He lied.

"Ah, so it was mutual?" The kettle flicked off and Adela poured the boiling water into the mugs, leaving the tea to brew.