TWENTY EIGHT

t w e n t y e i g h t
" it's all good "
-

t w e n t y   e i g h t" it's all good "-

-

Lewis had just gotten up to get them both another glass of wine when Alice plopped down next to her with the biggest grin on her face.

"Come with me, now," She demanded, grabbing Adela by both hands and dragging her out into the kitchen. "What's changed?"

"What?" She frowned, pretending like she didn't know what Alice was on about as she took a seat on the barstool.

"One minute you're all 'we're just friends' and the next minute you're flirting with him on the sofa, basically lying on him. Spill the beans, what's changed?"

"I think seeing Simon with Catherine has finally... finally shown me that he's actually moved on and that I have a right to do so too. I'm not rushing into anything, but a little attention from someone you're attracted to is nice, you know?" Adela fiddled with the hem of her dress as she spoke, keeping her eyes down. It felt weird to say it out loud, especially in the place she'd once called home, but it was out there now and there was no taking it back. "Even if it doesn't go anywhere, he's a good guy and I do like him."

"This is progress," Alice said, still grinning like a maniac. "Also, Catherine is totally threatened by you so just keep being you, okay? Now, get back in there and get with someone who isn't tall, blond and named Simon."

Adela hopped off the stool. "If you insist," She joked, linking arms with Alice as they walked back to the living room where the majority of the guests were swaying to Christmas music and drinking way too much wine.

"I forgot to tell you," Alice began, "I've got to go early because I'm meeting Harry to fly to his for Christmas, but I'll be back like three days after Christmas."

"I wish you wouldn't keep springing things on me like this," Adela complained as she turned to pull Alice into a tight hug. The two of them rocked side to side as Adela said, "But I do hope you have an amazing time and I'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too, Ads, but I know you'll have a great time and eat lots of food with your parents back home. I think I literally have to leave now if I want to get there only slightly late, so I have to dash, but I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Please do call me, I know what you're like with phone calls." Her hands splayed across Alice's back as she held her tight, not really wanting to let her best friend go. She didn't know what she'd do without her for the next week to pester with calls, coffee and doing each other's make up as they gossiped and ranted about next to nothing.

"I will, I will," She promised, laughter lacing her words as she held Adela out at an arm's length. "Now, you've got a cute guy in an ugly jumper waiting for you in there with a wine with your name on it. So, what're you waiting for?"