TWENTY TWO

t w e n t y   t w o
" happiness keeps the
human engine ticking "

-

-

As Adela repacked her clothes into the boxes she'd only just taken them from, she couldn't help but think about her afternoon with Lewis and smile to herself.

He'd been very sweet to her, as usual, and the excitement he had in showing her his own company's clothing was heart-warming. It was refreshing to see someone passionate about what they did, rather than doing it for the money.

Money makes the world go round, but happiness keeps the human engine ticking.

She didn't think he stopped smiling as he'd shown her the designs. Her favourite was undoubtedly the shirt with the branding "no snakes just ladders", a snakes and ladders board printed across the back. When he'd turned the shirt over to reveal the design, Adela immediately reached out and ran her fingers up one of the ladders.

"You like it?" Lewis had asked, trying to hide the hope but it came shining through as bright as the midday sun.

"Yeah," She replied, looking up at him through her wire-framed glasses. "I actually really do." She pushed the glasses back up her nose.

He laughs, creasing over slightly. "But you didn't think that you would?"

Guiltily, she shook her head. "No, street-wear isn't really my thing, surprisingly." Adela tucked her hair behind her ear, her cheeks tinting pink.

"Oi," A unfamiliar voice called from the other room, "who've you got hiding in there, Lewis?"

Lewis laughed again. She loved how happy he looked here. He seemed like this was his element and he led a happy life. Content in his work and in his company. A twang struck through Adela as she smiled at him and hoped that she could be a part of that content company for a long time.

"A new friend," He shouted back, glancing at her with a glint in his deep eyes. "Just showing her the clothes!"

"Who's that?" Adela asks, unable to diminish her curiosity.

"That's Tobi. He helps out around here with orders sometimes," Lewis explained as he refolded the shirt and slid it into the packaging. "So, that's it really." He held the shirt out to her. "You can have it, if you want?"

"I don't have the money on me," She said, her expression sagging a little.

"Nah, just take it. We won't mind missing one on the house, don't worry," He said with a wink that made her heart flip. He shook the shirt, indicating for her to take it. So she did.

"Thank you." She kept her eyes on the shirt. "This is so nice of you."

"No problem, now, let's introduce you to Tobi before he gets upset about being left out."