TWENTY SEVEN

t w e n t y   s e v e n
" i'm gonna need more wine "
-

t w e n t y   s e v e n" i'm gonna need more wine "-

-

For the entire taxi ride from Lewis' to Simon's apartment, Adela was sat between Alice and Lewis. Although she tried her best not to lean on either of them, she could feel his arm against hers and his warmth radiating through deep into her skin. If Alice wasn't there, maybe she would've leant against him, but she was there. So, Adela sat up as straight as a pole for the entire fifteen minute journey, feet already aching.

"Here you go," The taxi driver said, tucking her hair over her ear as she turned in her seat to look at the three of them. "You three seem a little squashed back there. One of you could've sat in the front, but we're here now."

"Thank you very much," Alice said as she held out the cash for the ride, pushing open the door and stepping out onto the pavement.

Adela followed suit, gripping Alice's arm to steady herself. Lewis got out last, thanking the driver and shutting the car door behind him.

"Well," Adela said. "This is his."

Looking up at the apartment complex, it didn't feel like a day had gone by since she'd lived her everyday there, spent nights in there being in love and happy, thinking she'd never move out of there without him by her side.

And now she was going back into that building to see that man with someone else, being happy with that someone else.

She snapped away from her thoughts when a hand squeezed her arm comfortingly. She turned to the source, smiling when she locked eyes with Lewis. Silently, she mouthed a thank you to him as they followed an impatient Alice inside, bustling into the elevator with her.

They reached the floor and Alice was knocking on the door before Adela could even take a breath, but Lewis' hand on the small of her back made the stress that was inside of her calm a little. Not that it was completely gone, but it helped to know that she had people who were there for her.

The door swung open, revealing a pretty woman with perfect eyeliner, bountiful curls of hair and a glass of red wine in her hand. She wore a tight fitted dark green dress and a broad smile as she greeted them, "Hi, you must be Adela?" She asked, looking at Alice.

"Um," Adela choked out, stepping forwards. "Actually that's me. This is Alice and this is Lewis."

The smile wobbled, unnoticeably, before she invited them in. "Well, I'm Catherine.Do come in!" She stepped back, holding the door open for them. "It's a pleasure to meet you all and you can leave your coats on the hangers, they're just-"

"Thank you, Catherine," Adela said, cutting Catherine off, following her in and glaring at Alice, warning her to be nice. Catherine spoke as if she didn't know that Adela used to live here too. In fact, she'd even helped Simon pick the place, but she wasn't about to say that. Instead, she'd give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Simon hadn't told her.

"When you're ready, come on through and we'll sort you out with drinks." She was playing the role of hostess perfectly. It was likely her idea to have a party: Adela knew Simon would never have chosen to have one without pressure from someone else. Either way, maybe she was good for him.

Adela slipped her coat off and hung it up, ignoring the sting of the familiarity. As they approached the small living room, the sound of Christmas music reached her ears. There was nothing better than Michael Buble at Christmas time.

Catherine clapped her hands together as the three of them entered the room, slipping from under Simon's arm to pour the three of them some wine.

Adela felt as if she were frozen in the doorway. As Alice went forward to help with drinks, probably gasping for some alcohol, Lewis remained by her side. She tried to look anywhere but at Simon, even as he crossed the room towards her and pulled her into a hug.

"It's good to see you again," He said, shocking her with his forwardness.

"Yeah," Adela replied jarringly, quickly pulling herself back from his hug. "You too." Her mouth was dry as she stared up at him like she was seeing a ghost.

Lewis glanced between the two of them, jaw locked.

Simon opened his mouth to speak again, but Alice cut in, stepping in front of him with a glass of wine in both hands. "Here you guys go. Enjoy this." She held them out for the both of them. Adela took it right away, thankful for the interruption. Thankfully, Simon had turned away as he'd been called away by Catherine, who Adela watched plant a big kiss on Simon.

"I think I'm gonna need more wine," Adela murmured, turning away and putting the glass to her lips, drinking half the glass in one go.

She would've drunk more but Lewis put a hand on her wrist and slowly pulled it away from her lips. Eyes trained on her, he said, "Maybe we should go and sit down? It would be nice to talk with you for a while."

Adela glanced around. Alice was across the room conversing with someone Adela had never seen before. With that, she nodded and followed him over to the sofas, taking a seat beside him, shoulder to shoulder.

He stretched himself out and Adela was overly aware of his arm behind her head over the back of the sofa.

"How come you wanted me to come?" Lewis asked forwardly, watching her as he took a sip of his wine.

Adela tucked her hair behind her ear. "I'll be honest, I didn't know you were coming. Alice only told me when I figured out that the way we were going wasn't the way to Simon's." She shrugged her shoulders, looking right at him with her big, brown eyes. "Not the worst surprise I've ever received."

"But not the best?" He raised a dark eyebrow, his defined features transforming with the appearance of a smile across his expression.

"I've had better," She joked, a lightness to her coming out that she was unaware would even make a show of itself that night. "Like when my mum told me we were going to the dentist but she actually took me to Cadbury's World. I don't think I've been that happy since."

"Cadbury's World?" Lewis rest his head back against the cushion, rolling his head over to look up at her. "I never went."

"There's always time to make a trip to Cadbury's World," Adela told him, just as his hand dropped onto her shoulder. The warmth of his hand on her skin made her heart jolt and feel a craving to curl right into his side, which she inevitably gave into as she sunk down and rested her head on his arm.

"Maybe we could make a trip sometime," He muttered, eyes flickering over every line of her face. From her deep, endless eyes to her peachy lips.

"I'd like that," She replied, the smile taking over as she gazed at him, wondering whether maybe he was a lot better for her than she had first imagined.

-

1222 words
oh