Chapter 6

Luke's POV

I've been sitting in the waiting room for almost 5 hours now. Eli's mom had a mental breakdown, so her dad had to take her back to their house until she was able to handle herself around Eli. Ashton called me half an hour ago to see how Eli was doing, but I could barely speak.

After another hour of waiting, the doctor finally came out of Eli's room.

"Are you Luke Hemmings?" the doctor asked.

I nodded, and the doctor proceeded to speak.

"Well, Eli is fine, but we're going to have to keep her here for another week or until she is reacting well around dangerous objects. We took scans of her brain, and we noticed that she has semi-severe depression. That's most likely the cause of her suicidal attempt. Do you know anything about this?" he wondered.

I let out a sigh and began to explain what had happened to the doctor. The entire time, he would write things down on his clipboard and nod. 

"It seems to me that she's gone through a lot for someone her age. I'd recommend her to see a therapist every month for the next year or two, and try to keep her away from the possible causes of this attempt," he explained.

My mind took some time to process all of the information before nodding. 

"Good luck, son. Oh, she's been asking for you," the doctor said smiling.

I smiled and walked into her hospital room. The first thing I saw was a lifesize poster of the human circulatory system on the wall. After walking a bit further, Eli finally came to view. She had tubes inserted into her arms, and her cuts were all bandaged. Eli turned to face me, and she smiled in my direction.

"Hey," she weakly spoke.

"Hey," I replied before sitting in the seat next to her bed.

"Why'd you do it," she muttered.

"I don't think I could live knowing that you attempted to kill yourself because of me," I admitted.

She looked at me with a confused expression before speaking, "It wasn't your fault,"

That's when I actually took a good look at her.

Her hair was slightly matted and her face was pale. The pink tint on her cheeks was gone, and her smile didn't reach her eyes.

"Yeah it was. If I had just told you how I felt about you the first time, you wouldn't have been in a confused mess with Calum and the others," I breathed.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I really like you Eli. I know this may sound really stupid, but I didn't want to hurt you, so I pretended like I never really cared," I admitted.

She nodded her head in understanding before opening her mouth again.

"It still wasn't your fault, but I don't think I'm ready to like anyone for a while," she explained.

"I understand," I replied.

"Luke, you're a great guy, and I would love to get to know you someday. I've just been trying to find someone who'll be there for me." she said.

"besides, my life is okay. I just don't like a lot of the people in it," she added

I looked down at my shoes and tried to wipe away some of my tears.

Suddenly, her heart moniter started beating extremely fast. I looked back at Eli and noticed that she had removed all of the tubes from her body and removed the needles off of two of them.