Rumors, or are they?

- Melanie's POV -

     As I walk toward the front doors of the school, it's only then that I notice all of the whispers and terrified expressions placed on everyone's faces.

     Suddenly, someone grabs my arm and pulls me through the crowd. "Hey! What are you doing? Let go of me! Ow!" I scream as I'm dragged through the halls, surrounded by students everywhere. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I see that we pass by one of the girl's bathrooms. It was suspiciously being guarded by police, and there was tape and blockage covering the entrance. Not only that, but I just barely notice the sliver of blood I see, splattered on the mirror.

    When I'm finally free from the mysterious person's grasp, I look up to see it's Aimee. "Is everything okay?" I say, even though it's clear that something is wrong.

    "No, Melanie, I-" she stutters as she tries to catch her breath. Before she could say anything, the bell rings. "Melanie, in the bathroom, they-" but by that time, Aimee is drained out by the loud noises and echoes of the hall, and we lose each other in the stampede of students. 

    "Aimee! Aimee where are you?" I yell. I eventually give up on finding her, and I find my way to class.

    -----------------------------------------------

    "Due to an... accident... that happened in the downstairs girls' bathroom, girls will apparently have to use the upstairs one. Do not go in the girls' bathroom downstairs until further notice or there will consequences. Understood?" says Mrs. Kantcachuhbrek. We all nod our heads.

    Someone in the back of the classroom raises their hand. "What happened there?" he says.

    "It doesn't matter what happened" she says, but starts to trail off, yet only I could here what she whispers to herself, "but it does matter to whom..."

     The rest of class had a cold, gloomy feeling to it, to me anyway. Although, you could tell that everyone had a somewhat uneasy feeling, but they acted as if everything was completely ordinary. 

-------------------------------------------

    I shuffle through my locker, searching for food. Eventually, I find two dollars crammed at the bottom of my backpack, and I am filled with joy. As I begin to turn toward the direction of the vending machine, I stop to eavesdrop on some girlsI hear whispering.

    Girl #1: "What happened in the bathroom? Like the one that's got tape and stuff?"

    Girl #2: "I don't know, but rumors say some girl was murdered. Also, I saw some blood on the bathroom wall while passing by.

    I receive a flashback of blood smeared on the mirror. Could someone have  really been murdered? I mean, what else could it have been? 

    Girl #1: "Who's the girl?"

    Girl #2: "No one really knows, and I don't have a clue of who it could be..."

    When I hear them start to walk my direction, I speed-walk toward the vending machine, as if I heard nothing.

    "Mel! Oh my potato french fries- do you have any clue what's going on?" I hear, as I turn to the sound of Aimee's voice, and Farrah running up from behind her. "Woah- uhh. Okay you scared me." I say, and sigh in relief.

    "So? What matters is we have to find out what happened in that bathroom!" Aimee says. Farrah, with a terrified expression on her face, seemed too shocked to even say a word. 

    "Farrah, are you okay?" I ask, though it's clear she was in horror. She sighs and replies, "Yeah... it's just kind of... scary. What if the murderer is... a student?" 

    I suddenly grow suspicious. Aimee had no clue what happened, whether someone was murdered or what. Yet, Farrah seemed out of nowhere sure someone was murdered. Unless, she had seen blood there, like me, and just assumed. That would be the case, right? Farrah, a small, frail, cute, adorable and sweet girl. She would never commit such a crime. That's ridiculous! Isn't it?

     "Um, Hello? Earth to Melanie? You alright there friend?" Aimee says, as she waves her hand in front of my face. I snap out of my frozen state. "Huh? Yeah. Sorry. But Farrah-" I start to say as the school bell rings for the next period. 

    "Shoot! Sorry Melanie, I need to get to calculus. I can't be late! I'm not uh- doing so well so I don't want to miss anything! Bye guys!" Farrah says, rushing off to class. "Bye Farrah! Okay then, see you later Melanie! I'll see you next break." Aimee says, but as she slightly stumbles before controlling her pace, I see a glimpse of blood underneath a bandage on her hand that I hadn't noticed before.  

    In history, I let my mind drift off elsewhere rather than pay any attention to the lesson. 

    What could those signs mean? I could never see any of my friends committing- no. They'd never do anything so horrid. Although, Farrah had seemed so suspicious. Only now do I realize, Farrah? Having trouble in calculous? She never has trouble with anything in school! And if so, how am I only finding out now? At the same time, Aimee... that bandage, and the blood. Could she have had something to do with the situation? I hadn't been sure. In what mind should I be suspecting them anyway? They'd never. In fact, the scenario that someone was murdered could just be a rumor. And the thought that it was a student committing the crime could be a rumor. I have no real proof, so how can I know for sure? By all I know, all of it could just be rumors. Or are they?

    "Melanie? Would you care to  answer the question?" Mrs. Inedmoni asks.

    Of course I wasn't listening to any part of the lesson, let alone the question. "Um, would you mind repeating that please?" I request.