An Encounter with the Zora

The Zora Domain wasn't very far Kakariko Village yet it took Link approximately two and a half days to reach it by horse. Maybe it had something to do with the consistent rain (which hopefully wasn't caused by Vah Ruta), maybe it had something to do with the fact that Link didn't really make his horse run and instead allowed it to walk slowly. Either way, his journey was mind numbingly slow but that didn't seem to really bother Link. His mind was empty which was nice for the time being. He knew that very soon he would have to face the entire Zora kingdom and confess that he allowed another princess to die an early death. 

The royal horse neighed and backed up slightly. Link looked up and sighed. He reached the point where he couldn't take his steed with him due to the steep rocks blocked the path. Slowly he dismounted the horse, fed him a couple of carrots and apples, before making his way over the rocks and down the path.

Walking the path was an easier task than before. The many electric based monsters that once inhabited nearly every inch of this trail were mostly gone and whatever few stragglers were left kept to themselves. Occasionally a Lizalfos would feel cocky and hiss at him as Link trudged on by. Other than that they caused him no trouble.

The smell of fish was getting closer with each step. Only now was it hitting him that he had no clue what to do. He didn't know how to tell the Zora King that their last hope of surviving and thriving as a kingdom was dead and that Link was the "new" hope. He didn't know how to deal with the fact that the Zora elders would most likely be enraged and go back to loathing Link the way they loathed him when Mipha died.

Don't think about that.  Link thought to himself. His hands were already twisting into fists and he was inadvertently holding his breath. "Just breathe." He breathed in slowly and closed his eyes, stopping for a moment. Calmly think about the situation.  Zelda was dead, she died in battle. Her last words instructed Link to protect and rule her kingdom. Link now had to tell the leaders of where the Divine Beasts resided. Think of a reasonable way to handle this. He had to stay calm throughout the whole encounter that was certain. He couldn't break down into tears while he tried to desperately sign out the Princess died. He had to explain exactly what happened. No, first he had to give the King the letter Impa wrote. That was the first thing he had to do. The rest was up to how the King reacted.

The Hyrulean champion began walking once more as he played possible scenarios in his head. Each one however, was stopped short as that little voice of reason continued to remind him to stay calm in this situation. As he finally reached the long bridge leading up to the Zzora domain Link felt his heart drop into his stomach. Even from so far away, he could make out Sidon. He was blurry but it was without a doubt him. His lip quivered and tears clouded his vision. It was hard already and Link hadn't even fully entered the domain. He just couldn't face them. He couldn't face the smiling prince, always so happy to see Link and so encouraging, he couldn't look at him and the King and say he failed in protecting the princess. He just couldn't. But he had to.

Deep breaths. Calm down. Think rationally. The black hood he had bought in Kakariko village at the beginning of his journey oh so long ago and used in the desert to protect himself from the rays of the sun was now being pulled up onto his head. Right now it would protect him from the peering eyes of the Zora. If Link knew they couldn't see his face properly he would be less likely to cry. He was the brave warrior and knight after all. He couldn't cry, at least not here and not now. Another deep breath. Happy thoughts. A nice afternoon on the beach, nothing but the waves and horses and all the sweets he could eat. Perhaps some rock climbing. Defeat a couple guardians, hunt a little. Once his nerves were put to rest and Link regained his stoic expression he began swiftly walking across the bridge.

The Zora domain was as busy as ever, especially now. Everyone one and their mother had seen the four divine beasts shoot out powerful rays to Hyrule castle and had more than likely seen the gigantic boar-like animal made out of the pure rage and malice of Calamity Ganon follow tiny Link around Hyrule field as he shot out light arrow after light arrow at the beast. And they had most definitely seen the gigantic orb of golden light engulf the boar before quickly banishing it. And now everyone obviously knew that Calamity Ganon was defeated and a new chapter in Hyrule's history was just beginning.