Advice from Dorephan

"A King," King Dorephan began as he reclined in his throne, "is a leader, obviously. An example. I would say you have that aspect down. The entire kingdom knows your and your ancestors legacies. Now, a King is wise as well. You must not take yourself and only yourself into consideration. You have the lives of many rest on on your shoulders. Anything may affect those lives." Link listened intently. It had been a week since his coronation and he had done nothing he considered "kingly", now he was seeking the advice he remembered King Dorephan had offered him. He was sitting cross-legged in his Zora armor and greaves on the shiny wet floor of the throne room. He had set the crown aside at the beginning but King Dorephan asked him to place it back on his head. He liked seeing the small Hylian wear the crown. It made him proud.

"Now I understand that due to your gift you have uncontrollable bursts of immense courage. From what I remember my dear daughter telling me, you act as if you are immortal. You will have to find a way to reign that part of you in. I understand, in crucial times your training as a knight required you to act on instinct. However now you must think. If we are at the very beginnings of war you cannot simply send troops out without a battle plan. A King cannot wing it." Link nodded, feeling just a bit offended. "And as King, you must also consider other things for your kingdom aside from fighting. You now have the incredibly dull task of seeing how the kingdom's taxes get spent. Especially now what with the great need of repairs. However King Daphnes had placed experts to settle that task. I suggest you do that as well. If you had lived a normal life as a child you may know a thing or two about that part of your responsibility." The Zora King frowned. "However you did not live a normal childhood. You spent your days training to become the man you are today." Man. The word didn't sit well on Dorephan's tongue. Not for Link. He was a young boy, not a man yet. He was forced responsibility when he was a small child and now that he is a teenage boy he is having even more responsibility pushed on him. It saddened the Zora King.

"You can find the well known money experts in Hateno Village. If you so please I can send a Zora out to find one. You must also consider travel routes. In the days of the Calamity our merchants traveled aimlessly. It is now time to create paths to make sure they are safe." Link nodded. Beedle was the one that popped into his head for this job. He didn't know why but Beedle seemed to appear just about everywhere, he had to know the safer routes of the kingdom for merchants. "And trade is definitely a major aspect to a flourishing kingdom. Especially since our villages are so far apart. Trade routes can increase money being made and help us progress."

The King looked down at Link. Link had been scribbling down notes the whole time. He didn't smile down at the boy. He didn't praise him for paying attention or for seeming so relaxed even if something this serious was being placed on him. He, instead, was angry, but only a little. The anger was unintentional and honestly unjustifiable. It wasn't Link's fault he happened to be the chosen one. It wasn't his fault at all but Dorephan still held some anger towards him for it. If he wasn't the chosen one he would've had a better life. He would've been happier. When Link looked up from his messy notes Dorephan spoke again.

"I am embarrassed to admit this, but I pray to the Goddesses that my son doesn't turn out like you." The Hylian was taken aback. That was...slightly rude. "Not to say I don't admire and respect you. But that is just it. I don't want him to be like you because I'm worried he may not be happy in life. I don't mean to be rude in any way, but I can see the emotions hiding underneath the skillfully used mask of stoicism you place on your face before talking to anyone. I can see the many years of hardships you have faced. And while I admire the trauma you have dealt with, I do not wish that kind of pain on my own kin." The King looked up and outside. The sun was high up in the sky and the happy chatter of his residents and travelers intermingled. Sidon was out there, among the Zora, telling tales of his adventures with the new King. "I have tried my best to prepare him to be a king, and I have tried my best to allow him to be a child. He is still fairly young for a Zora, I do not want his youth to be shrouded with the stresses of royalty."