The Champions and their Divine Beasts: Part I

"What do you mean the Princess is dead?" Sidon whisper-yelled to his father as to not let any eavesdropper hear.

"I mean Princess Zelda died heroically just after she and her knight defeated the Calamity." King Dorephan sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"How?! I just, I can't believe this has happened. After so many years she's dead? How?"

"Yes Sidon. After a century of battle is seems she has perished and has left Link to be the only remaining member of heroes from long ago."

"But how?! She couldn't of just...collapsed. Could she? What did Link say?"

"He said nothing. I was not going to push such information out of him." The King turned to his distressed son. A sudden, and small, wave of sadness washed over him as he studied Sidon's face. Clearly he was upset that Link was upset even if he didn't fully understand why Link was upset. Dorephan had only told Sidon so much about Link's situation. "Clearly the boy is heartbroken over this whole thing. He couldn't look at me properly and he seemed to be speaking in a more formal tone than what I'm used to. Even when he woke up from the Shrine of Resurrection and had no memory or knowledge of me other than the fact that I'm a King he spoke more casually. Now he speaks as if he were programmed. It's a shame really. This is taking a toll on him."

"Yes, clearly." Sidon sighed and paced the area in front of his father. "Does Muzu know? I do hope he doesn't turn the Princesses death into such a deal as he did with Mipha's." Sidon groaned at the thought of the Zora elder acting as childish as he did when Link first arrived. Surely Muzu had to know that if he did behave in such a way in this situation it could embarrass the whole Zora's Domain and the royal family, right?

"Muzu is not aware yet and I am certain he won't act that way. The death of our dear Mipha affected him more because of his bond with her. Zelda's death will upset him but he has learned from his previous actions and will act like an adult."

"But how can you be so sure father?" Sidon stopped his pacing and looked up at the King. "Perhaps I should have a word with him. I should warn him of the consequences if he were to even think that way."

"Sidon," King Dorephan spoke in a gentle tone, "I understand. You and Link had a friendship when you were a child. You looked up to him and you still do."

"Well yes but I don't see what this has to do with anything." Sidon interrupted in a bit of a huffy tone.

"Allow me to finish, son. You care for Link the way you cared for Mipha. Both held and will forever hold a piece of your heart. When they were both deemed dead one hundred years ago those pieces of you were lost as if thrown into the Great Hyrule Forest. And now that one of those pieces has returned you feel the great need to protect him however way you can. That is what you're doing right now, you're trying to protect Link in whatever way you can whether it be offering moral support or harassing your elders." Sidon stood there, mouth slightly agape. He wanted to respond with a snooty no I'm not but he was doing exactly that and he knew it.

"Now how do you know this?" Sidon asked. His voice quiet though it still hold the attitude from before.

"Because I am your father. It is not only my sole duty to manage the Zoras but understand my own child's feelings and help him. And my own mother was a very compassionate woman and a very gentle soul. As the Queen she used that compassion to rule the kingdom. As did your mother." King Dorephan chuckled lightly, the memory of his wife bringing happy memories back. "Your mother was a very kind Queen indeed. Showed me how to see the signs of distress or anything really on ones face."

"Now then," The Zora King spoke, changing the subject, "I believe that if you so wish to help Link with his own feelings you must do nothing to rash. In fact, perhaps not mentioning this to him at all would be best. Now before you interrupt, let me explain. If you were to remind him of what has happened while he is still trying to process all this it will only make him want to spend more time in isolation thus causing you to worry for his well-being even more." Sidon nodded slowly. "If you were, to say, leave the topic alone for a while it may help him come to terms with certain things and then he will be more than willing talk to you about all the different things going on in his mind."