Chapter Four

As fate decided, Milo Potter did not follow the footsteps of his parents with being sorted into Gryffindor, instead, he had followed a different path, one that even his adopted mother had not planned on. It was Milo's final statement to the Sorting Hat that had made the final decision for him. Milo had placed all his faith in the hat, not caring what house he was placed it, he didn't believe that any house was placed over another, just as his mother had said. Although she definitely showed her house pride and was head of Gryffindor, it was fair to show a little favoritism. But Minerva had been banking on Milo being sorted into Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, and Milo had thought it would come down to the two as well. But the Sorting Hat had other plans for the boy as fate had it, he became a proud Hufflepuff on the evening of September 1st.

He was a badger and his words spoke truly of the message that Helga Hufflepuff had tried to spread centuries ago during her lifespan. One could value bravery, ambition, wit, and loyalty, but what separated Hufflepuffs from the other houses, was the fact that they did not focus on such things. It did not separate them, they hardly held a rivalry with other houses, because it wasn't about making themselves better, it was about making everything better. Milo wanted to learn, not only for his own benefit but for the sake of learning to make the world a better place.

He didn't need a lightning scar on his forehead to know right from wrong and wanting the world to be better. There was no prophecy looming over from his birth, but that didn't mean that he couldn't make his own impact on the world. Minerva was shocked at first, unsure how to react to the results of the Sorting. She had been so set on Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, she had completely neglected the other two houses for the time being as she stood beside her son. She had been hoping for either house, perhaps so that Milo could find his roots within the Gryffindor house as it was part of his family for generations. Potters had been sorted as Lions for decades and Lily had been sorted as well, the first witch of her family. 

There was hope for Ravenclaw as well as Minerva remembered the debate of the Sorting Hat with her own sorting so long ago. She had come close to being in Ravenclaw and she often saw a bit of herself in Milo, especially when it came to her academic nature. But deep down, once the shock had settled, she couldn't help but agree with the Hat. Milo had been a helper from the time he was just a toddler.

Looking after his younger brother after their parents were killed, becoming the Official Scroll Shredder, and often helping out many of the shops in Hogsmeade. It brought him great joy and it was hard to find a child that had a good work ethic at a young age, most children had to develop such a mentality in their teen years, some couldn't even get a grasp of it into their adulthood. It was a perfect fit for Milo, but would Hufflepuff be the house of Harry Potter?

The night before the Start of Term, Milo wandered out of his bedroom after looking over the belongings in his trunk. Of course, with his home not being far away at all during the school year, he knew if he forgot anything that he would be able to get it no problem, but he always liked having things organized, something his mother had ingrained in his head very early. His mother was seated at the table, enjoying an evening cup of tea in front of the window, looking out quietly. It was a quiet night in the village, although Milo swore he could hear the owls hooting in the distance. 

He tried not to make a lot of noise since he didn't want to disturb the peaceful silence that his mother seemed to be soaking in when suddenly, he stubbed his toe against the corner of the sofa. A high-pitch yelp burned his throat as he yelled out, startling Minerva, who dropped her teacup to the floor with a shattering impact. So much for the subtle and quiet approach, he had failed miserably. He had lifted his foot up to baby in his hands, only to lose his balance and crash to the floor only making things worse as the vase that was resting on a small table fell to the floor and broke.